mini disk

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by lordmac, Dec 6, 2004.

1. lordmac macrumors regular

Feb 15, 2004
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ok here is my question and I feel kind of stupid asking it. Well here it goes.
    Can you put a mini cd in a slot loading powerbook. I just recnently acwired some mini CD-R's that are quite nifty for burning smalls files like word docs becuase they burn really fast. But the thought never came to mind when I bought them will they work on a slot loading drive. Now I would just try sticking one in it but I am afraid of it getting stuck in there.

I hope they work because they work great in my G5 tower.

P.S. To make sure there is no confusion though I thought I was pretty clear when I say mini disk I do not mean those sony mini disks for sony min- disk players. They are simply normal CD-R's that have been cut down so they have half the capacity and are half the size. :)
  2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004
    dont do it, will get stuck

but there are adapters that you can buy to put the mini disk in so it will work like a full sized disk, still a bit risky though
  3. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

Aug 5, 2003
    There is no way that it will work directly, the adapter could f*ck your PB if it splits inside... I got stuck with some mini CD-Rs and have to burn them in the eMac and send to some friends, if you want to send them, do not forget to write the warning...
  4. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

Feb 4, 2004
    Florida Resident
    That is the only major drawback of slot loading drives besides price.
    Buy an external USB or Firewire CD drive if you need to use those disks.

Another alternative that is better is to use USB keychains. They are cheap and fast and some hold more than even full size CDs. They work just like your Harddrive so you can delete and update files without reburning.
  5. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

Mar 25, 2002
    London, England
    AFAIK you should never insert mini-cds in to any slot-loading drive, even with an adapter.
  6. cubist macrumors 68020

Jul 4, 2002
    Muncie, Indiana
    Some of the slot loaders, like the one in the Cube, are supposed to work with 80cm disks, but I wouldn't recommend it anyway.
  7. lordmac thread starter macrumors regular

Feb 15, 2004
    Santa Cruz, CA
    ah well I guess I wont try it

Thanks for all the reponses i most certinally keep them away from my powerbook. They should relly write a warning on there that say can only be used with the top or bottem of the line macs. Also i would use a flash drive but I was hoping to use these for giving away small files to people wich would get a tad expensive with flash drives :). Oh well at least I only bought a relativly small pack of them.