Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Brian W

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
I just received my 1.83GHz Core Duo Mini and I'm seeing some video artifacts while connected to my 24-Inch LCD. I guess the best way to describe it is to say there are faint vertical stripes (like grey shadows) across the entire screen. Has anyone else seen something similar?

I'm using the DVI-VGA adapter to connect with my Acer AL2416W 24-Inch widescreen LCD (no DVI on the LCD). The LCD works perfectly with my PCs.

Some observations:

1. The lines appeared at whatever the default resolution was when I started my Mini for the first time.

2. They appear at my desired resolution (1920x1200) which is also the LCD's native resolution.

3. They do not appear at 1600x1200.

Would a better VGA cable or adapter help? I'm really hoping to resolve this because otherwise I probably would have purchased a 24-Inch iMac instead.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks...

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
Try holding down the leftmost (exit) button on the monitor (without the menu showing) for 2 or 3 seconds. That will force an auto adjust. That way you can make sure the monitor is synced to the signal coming out of the Mac. You may have to repeat this (once) for each resolution you want to use.

Brian W

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
Thanks for the reply. The Auto Config button that you mentioned didn't resolve the issue, but I discovered something else... When I enable the system preference "Show displays in menu bar" it lists:

Acer AL2416W
1600 x 1200, 60 Hz, Millions
1920 x 1200, 60 Hz, Millions
1920 x 1200, 60 Hz, Millions

When I select the first 1920 x 1200 setting I see the vertical lines I described. When I select the second 1920 x 1200 setting the lines disappear! :D Choosing 1920 x 1200 in the system preferences (there's only one listed there) causes the lines to reappear. What the heck? :confused:

I'm relieved that I'm able to eliminate the lines but I'd really like to understand where these settings come from and the difference between them. Anyone have any insight into this?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.