mini-dv cam reccomendations?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by railthinner, Mar 7, 2005.

1. railthinner macrumors regular

Jul 1, 2002
    I'm looking to get a mini-dv cam tonight. Anyone got a recommendation in the $600 range? Concerned about optics, iMovie compatability, build quality, size. And easy availability at a store like Best-Buy or Circuit city because I'll need to pick it up right away. Anyone have a Sony vs. Canon preference or anything? I've been really happy with my Canon still camera. I'm wondering if the good interface and menus etc. are there on the dv cams.

thanks in advance
  2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004
    Canon is the best if you ask me, they have some great cameras in that price range too if you ask me

one main reason i would go for Cannon over Sony is that Sony uses proprietry memory sticks, so you have to buy theres, Cannon uses a standard kind

but all in all Sony and Cannon are the two best out there, my personal preference is with Canon, and i know that they all support OS X as well, the one i had needed no drivers either, just plug and play
  3. jayeskreezy macrumors 65816

Mar 3, 2005
    get a canon or sony....being a broadcast journalism major the only cameras we used were sony's and canons....of course the sony's we used were way above $600 but when we used lower end models and didnt want to sacrifice overall quality or features we used canon ...i'd say they're pretty close, but for your price range i'd recommend a'd probably get more bang for your buck

currently I own a canon optura 20...I LOVE it...i'd recommend like an elura 70 or an optura 30 or something...the sony hc40's and 30's are ok but I think the models from canon for that price are better...dont forget accesories'll need a tripod and probably a mic and a light
  4. aloofman macrumors 68020

Dec 17, 2002
    Is there some reason you're buying it tonight? I recommend sifting through the various reviews that are online. There's a wealth of information out there on just the things you describe.

One thing is critical: no matter what the reviews say, go to a store and put it in your hands. Get a feel for the balance, where the controls are, how easy it is to get to the features you care about. These are subjective things that you can only find out by having it in your hands. You can buy it online to get a better price, but don't buy any DV camera sight unseen.
  5. Espnetboy3 macrumors 6502

Feb 1, 2003
    I had bought the Panasonic dv gs120 in july. Then it sold for about 800 in best buy. I was there the other day and it was in the 600 dollar range I believe. It was one of the first to have 3ccd's at a very affordable consumer price. So far its been a great camera, reliable,small and compatible. You can also have total control on frame speed, to manual focus to exposure settings.
  6. yellow Moderator emeritus

Oct 21, 2003
    Portland, OR
    I have a Sony TRV-22 and I REALLY like it. My wife and I bought it in 2003 and it's served us very well and made some pretty good iMovie/iDVDs for the extended family.
  7. aswitcher macrumors 603

Oct 8, 2003
    Canberra OZ
    Canon Optura 40 has been great to me. Might be outside your price range, especially since you must get yourself for any camera a long life battery and a good bag.
  8. railthinner thread starter macrumors regular

Jul 1, 2002
    thanks for all the quick replies. I'm good at putting things off until the last minute -- have an event I need to record tomorrow.
  9. dont24 macrumors regular

Jan 17, 2005
    I thought I just saw this one in a Sunday flyer. Can't remember which one, but it was $100 off. Price is $499.00. I'm looking at this one as well. A 3ccd camera for $500 :)

Update: (Mfr. #PVG120) is what's listed on I'll assume it may be a typo and is missing an "s"?
  10. rjphoto macrumors 6502a

Mar 7, 2005

I was recently in the same situation.
    My old Digital 8 bit the dust so I did some research on line and decided on the Sony HC-40. Best Buy was out all over town. I ended up getting an HC-30. It was a cute little (and I do mean little) camera.

I started shooting with it around the house as soon as I got home. The video looked great even in subdued light.

Main reason I choose this model was for a Microphone input. Much to my dismay at the event...there was no headphone jack to monitor the microphone.

The only other thing worth noting is it is so small that my hand cramped up trying to hold it and work the zoom control. I ended up putting it on a mini-monopod to hold it steady and be able to work the zoom.

While I was looking for a new camera bag the next week I came across a TRV-22 open box special. The TRV-22 has Mic & Headphone jacks. It's last years model (actually 2003) but it is still an outstanding camera for the Price ($449).

I'm not trying to sell Sony over Canon. The point is check out the models for the features you need...

Good Luck.
  11. ShermDog macrumors regular

Mar 15, 2004
    Will you be shooting in low light? Canon's consumer level camcorders have a poor reputation for low light performance. Sony's budget models tend to do much better.

Also, how important is manual control to you? Both Canon and Sony consumer models are aimed primarily at point-and-shoot users. If you need more manual control, you might want to take a look at either the Panasonic PV-GS14 or PV-GS120 (the former performs poorly in low light, the latter is a solid all-around performer).
  12. jayeskreezy macrumors 65816

Mar 3, 2005
    Another reason why I chose a Canon over Sony for the price...if you're quasi serious then you want to DEF have a mic input AND a headphone jack

I'd still recommend an external light with either one.

You should consider an Optura if you want some manual control.
  13. aloofman macrumors 68020

Dec 17, 2002
    Then don't be surprised if it doesn't turn out that great. Way to procrastinate, dude.
  14. Sideonecincy macrumors 6502

Sep 29, 2003
    I work at sears as an MCA and i was in the back today and found cameras that were on sale. Sony TRV-19 for $120 (originally $500). If you live near a sears, stop in and see if they have it.
  15. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

May 28, 2004
    In a false sense of reality...My Mind!
    FWIW, I bought a JVC GR-DX97 and like what it has been able to do so far.
    The low light is good and day shots seem pretty close to what my eyes can see. Since my budget was $400 this really fits the bill :) If the budget was more I would have bought the Canon Optura, good luck.
  16. Rovias macrumors member

Feb 22, 2005
    Go with Sony. You won't regret it. I own a TRV-33 and it's never let me down.
  17. yuck macrumors member

Feb 25, 2005
    im taking digital audio video class this term, the school lend us a canon vid cam, sorry i dont remember whats the model name, but it works great with FCP, i heard it was the ZR80 $250 on compusa
  18. blueflame macrumors 6502a

Apr 3, 2003
    Studio City
    i have one

an sony DRC-PC100
    andreas PM me
  19. Espnetboy3 macrumors 6502

Feb 1, 2003
    Yes my panasonic pv gs120 shoots extremely well in low light situations. It also has a leica dicomar lense :)