Mini DV Question

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by BCS, Dec 19, 2003.

1. BCS macrumors member

I bought a Panasonic dv203. Decent camera, but no mac software. Problem is the salesperson told me it had analog to digital input. Guess what, it doesn't. So back to Sears it goes. Question is what company offers a video camera that comes with software for OSX so I can also use it as a web cam and passthrough feature. Thanks in advance.

2. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

My Canon ZR60 works as a webcam in iChat. I don't really know if it has pass through though... I use iMovie/FCE for capturing video. It might have come with software but I never looked at it if it did.

3. revenuee macrumors 68020

revenuee

Re: Mini DV Question

My Elura and all Canon's made in the last 4 years work as passthrough for capturing analog video

i've been using mine for 5 years for this when capturing things from a VCR or analog device

device > dv cam +firewire> mac :)

i also use it as a web cam in iChat AV ...

Canon does have certain audio sinc problems if you just let capture staight through .... but if you use iMovie for capture then this problem is eliminated because it will slice your footage for you as it captures, but thats only when capturing straight from the camera, no problems as a passthrough :)

4. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

No digital camera has "Mac" software, or PC software for that matter.

A camera with pass through simply means you can hook analog into one port, and the firewire into the Mac and the camera does it all automatically. There is NO software. iChat will detect the Firewire from the camera and it will show as a camera.

5. revenuee macrumors 68020

revenuee

well i recall that the consumer level products sometimes come with software that can be used with editing ... particulary JVC ... i know that the mini DV HD cam from JVC comes with it's own software and that camera is advertized as a presumer / pro-user product

6. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Not quite, just because either platform will recognize (almost) all cameras, doesn't mean the camera company can't issue proprietary software (be it drivers or otherwise) for one platform or the other. I think you meant to say that no camera is exclusively Mac or PC.

paul