Mini-DVD Cam help

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Core Trio, Jun 15, 2006.

1. Core Trio macrumors regular

Core Trio

Hey everyone. My band recently played a show in Philadelphia that we have recorded on a friends Samsung Mini DVD camcorder, as my Canon DV camera is broken at the moment. However sadly there is no firewire port on this camera to connect to my powerbook to edit it all together.

I was wondering, would i be able to insert the mini dvd (into my external FW drive ofcourse, not the slot loading drive) and rip the file to my HD for editing?

Any help/advice would be grealty appreciated, thanks

2. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

Yup.. You need the QuickTime MPEG2 Playback Component and MPEG Streamclip to convert the VOBs on the mini-DVD into editable files.

3. Core Trio thread starter macrumors regular

Core Trio

4. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

Yeah it's not exactly free. MPEG Streamclip is free, but the QT MPEG2 Playback Component costs $20 and QT Pro costs $30.

I suppose something like Handbrake could work but that's just a guess, as I have no experience with it.

5. MacAficionado macrumors 6502

If you're going to spend money, might as well spend it on something user frinedly like Cinematize. Heard good things about it.

http://www.miraizon.com/

6. Core Trio thread starter macrumors regular

Core Trio

i tried handbrake and the files wont import right, it changed it to a compressed format anyway and Id rather work with it as uncompressed as possible. I guess Ill burn a regular sized dvd from the smaller one and use MacTheRipper to get the TSO file. Anyone know if iMovie can read tso?

7. mattmikulla macrumors newbie

Do I need an external dvd reader?

I am wondering how I actually get the movie footage on the mac by hooking the camera up with the usb cable. It doesn't mount when I do. Or do I need to use an external drive that will handle the mini dvd disc?

8. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb