Mini DVI adapter with 12" PB

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Cypher3, Mar 25, 2004.

1. Cypher3 macrumors regular

I have a PB 1GHZ 12" with mini DVI on it, but the cables that come with the laptop wont even fit in the port. Its not even close to fitting in. The hole in the casing for the port doesnt even seem big enough. Am I missing some here, because I dont understand this at all. Anyone have any ideas? If you need pics let me know.

Thanks

2. Zaty macrumors 65816

I have the same model but no problems at all with the adapters. Probably, they didn't provide you with fitting adapters. If you could publish pics of them, I might be able to help you.

3. Cypher3 thread starter macrumors regular

The pics I took are too large to upload, so if you post your e-mail I could send them to you. Let me know what you think because m kind of in a hurry since tonight im stopping by the Apple store in the mall and picking up the mini DVI to S-video cable but I dont know if it will fit.

4. Cypher3 thread starter macrumors regular

Well, I just got back from the Apple store. They didnt have the mini dvi to video adapter so I picked up iTV which stated it was specifically for the 12" powerbook. I asked the lady at the register if this would work with my 12" Alu Book and she said yes, so I bought it and went on my way. Once I got home and opened it up, ITS NOT EVEN THE RIGHT CABLE. So now im going to return this one tomorrow, and try a different Apple store to see if they have the mini dvi to video adapter. On top of all this, I dont even know if once I do find the right one, that it will fit in the mini dvi port of my PB because for some reason it seems like its deformed in some way. I've read there are heat issues with some PB's, do you think it might be "warped"? Anyone have any ideas whats up with this port?( I can email pics of it if you provide your email address)

Thanks,
    Ryan

5. rtdunham macrumors 6502a

rtdunham

1) take the power book with you to the store. that's why they call it MOBILE computing!

2) get software that enables you to size images--you'll need it for emailing pix, for putting pix on your website, for posting them to forums, etc. The native res from most digital cameras is best only for taking to a service for printing, i'd think there are a lot of other uses you want to take advantage of.

peace
    terry

6. Celeron macrumors 6502a

Are you sure you are plugging it into the right port? I suppose its possible that you weren't shipped the correct adapter, in which case you should complain to Apple. Here's a picture of the mini-dvi part on my 12''' AluPB. Does yours look like this?

Attached Files:

7. Cypher3 thread starter macrumors regular

Yes its the one to the right of the USB port. Mine doesnt seem as big as the one in your picture for some reason though.

8. Zaty macrumors 65816

Ryan,

Sorry for not replying sooner but due to the time difference (I'm in Europe), I couldn't get back to you sooner. The mini-DVI to video adapter you need is M9319G/A. It looks like this:

Attached Files:

9. Redline13 macrumors 6502

I bought a refurb powerbook last month and had the same problem. I was sent a mini vga adapter for an ibook. Give Apple a call and explain the situation. They should ship you the correct cable at no cost.

10. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

It's beginning to sound like you have a rev. A 12" PB 867MHz. The mini-VGA plug on that model is a smaller rectangle than the one on the rev. B 1GHz. Sounds like something fishy is going on. Perhaps you got the wrong PB. Again, a picture would help. Try going to the Apple menu and going to "About this Mac". What speed does it report? 1GHz or 867MHz?

11. Cypher3 thread starter macrumors regular

In about this Mac it says 1 GHz. I just got back from the Mac store by my house and had my PB sent away for repairs. Apparently my ports are "misaligned". So it will be repaired at no cost. I should have it back in 2 weeks. This is a pretty big inconvenience to me, but what can i do? Ill update once i get my PB back. Thanks for all your help guys.

12. Zaty macrumors 65816

Sorry to hear about that really strange problem. When did you buy your PB? If you bought it only recently, they should have exchanged it. I think it's outrageous that you have to do without your PB for two weeks in this case.

13. Cypher3 thread starter macrumors regular

I got it in a trade from the classifieds section of this forum. Its about 5 months old according to the person I got it from. Everything is fine with the machine except for that, I just really wish i would've known about it being "misaligned" before the trade because who knows, this could lead to bigger problems. :(

14. Zaty macrumors 65816

In this case, I can understand why you didn’t get it exchanged. Sorry to hear you got screwed.