mini dvi for macbook

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by mhuk01, Jan 19, 2007.

1. mhuk01 macrumors 6502

i want to get an adaptor to connect my macbook to a vga monitor.

However in the future i will be getting a monitor with dvi input. Am I able to get the apple mini dvi to dvi and also a dvi to vga adaptor? Would this work?

2. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

Apple has two separate adapters for the Macbook.

mini-DVI to DVI
    mini-DVI to VGA

Both cost US$20. I don't believe that the mini-DVI to DVI combined with a DVI to VGA adapter would work. The mini-DVI to DVI adapter is DVI-D only, meaning that an analog signal is not passed through.

ft

3. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

It should work if the DVI>VGA adapter he would use has a male DVI plug on it. I think that the adapter from Apple is a female DVI.

4. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

I really don't think it'll work. The mini-DVI to DVI plug from Apple is DVI-D, meaning it's digital only. You could physically plug it in, but nothing would show up since you can't pass digital through a VGA connection.

Apple would need to make a mini-DVI to DVI plug that was DVI-A or DVI-I. In either case, Apple does make a mini-DVI to VGA adapter that would work.

ft

5. djdawson macrumors member

djdawson

Actually, you can't even plug in the DVI-VGA adapter to the Mac MiniDVI-DVI adapter because there are no holes in the Mac adapter for the analog pins on the DVI-VGA adapter (they're the 4 pins off to one side with the wide flat pin in the middle of them). I've tried it, and ended up getting the MiniDVI-VGA adapter.

Bummer...