mini dvi to component help...

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by hardfox, Dec 2, 2006.

1. hardfox macrumors newbie

Dec 2, 2006
    i have a 17" iMac intel core 2 duo w/ ATI Radeon X1600 gfx card. i am trying to find a way to adapt the mini dvi out to my HD television which only has a component input on it. (I wasn't ready to make the switch to HD, but I got the TV for next to nothing from a freind) i bought a VGA to component cable (i read that there are some compatability issues with DVI-I and DVI-D adapters so i went VGA.) and much to my dismay, the cabe is not compatable with... computers. (???) i have found some adapters that convert DVI from an ATI card to Component, but that aren't compatable with Mac's. has anyone tried this and had it work? i don't realy have the loot to go throwing around on scan converters and such. any help would be appreciated. Thanx!
  2. -DH macrumors 65816

Nov 28, 2006
    Nashville Tennessee
    I believe you will need a scan converter since the TV is NOT a multi-sync model. The signal will need to be converter from computer output to an NTSC (or PAL) signal for it to work.

But the real question is what you're trying to display on the TV. If you want to use it as a desktop for you Mac, you probably won't like the TV's limited resolution. If you want to view your work in FCE/FCP while editing, you'll need to use the output appropriate for the format you're working with. For example, if you're working with DV, DVCam, DVCpro (25), connect your DV device (camcorder, VTR or converter) to your Mac via Firewire then connect the DV device's analog outputs to the TV.

3. lorductape macrumors 6502

Jun 23, 2006
    t3h usa
    if your only intention is to view video, apple sells an mDVI to component cable for $20. visit an apple store and ask.
  4. Links macrumors member

Oct 18, 2003
    Hollywood North
    That would be mDVI to S-video or Composite, not component.