Mini DVI to DVI cable

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by rodti, Oct 11, 2006.

1. rodti macrumors member

rodti

I've seen this cable in my local Apple store, and think it might be just the thing for hooking up to my projector. Does anyone know if the DVI end is male or female? The reason I ask is that the cable seems to only be a few inches long, and so I wonder if an ordinary male->male cable can be attached to extend the length. My MacBook runs hot enough without having it sitting on top of a projector!

2. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

It's a male miniDVI -> female DVI. It's a converter, not a cable for plugging directly into a display. You plug the proper DVI cable into the end of the adapter.

3. rodti thread starter macrumors member

rodti

That's what I thought, but I can't quite tell from the picture on the Apple Store. Thanks! :)

4. YoNeX macrumors regular

YoNeX

It should also be noted that it is a Mini DVI -> DVI-D meaning that you cannot go [mini-DVI -> DVI] -> [DVI -> VGA] -> VGA Source

5. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

But there is a mini-DVI->VGA...

6. YoNeX macrumors regular

YoNeX

Well, initially I was planning on using the mini-DVI -> DVI for all my DVI displays and using a DVI->VGA adapter for my VGA stuff. I pretty much didn't want to buy two mini-DVI, one for VGA and one for DVI, so its just information for those who are planning on doing that.

7. rodti thread starter macrumors member

rodti

Yep that's fine, it's just going to connect to my existing DVI-D cable.

Everyone wins!