Mini-DVI to DVI + DVI to VGA?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Selenolycus, Dec 18, 2006.

1. Selenolycus macrumors regular

I currently only have VGA monitors, but I may purchase a DVI monitor in the future. Since each adapter is $20 from Apple, but DVI to VGA adapters are around $5, I was thinking about getting a mini-DVI to DVI, and a DVI to VGA. I wouldn't encounter any problems with this, would i?

2. myshoeshurt macrumors regular

myshoeshurt

It will look like garbage, but should work just fine.

3. Selenolycus thread starter macrumors regular

Are you referrng to the monitor's display looking like garbage as a result of going through the two adapters, or the 'funkiness' of the two adapters together?

4. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

It shouldn't affect signal quality. The mini-DVI output already sends VGA signals through, so they'll just pass through the mini-DVI adaptor to the DVI-VGA adaptor.

Going from DVI to VGA, there is no conversion. The VGA signals have their own pins in the DVI port.

5. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

Instead of getting two adapters, why don't you do what I did: The Apple mini-dvi to dvi adapter and a cable with a dvi on one end and vga on the other. Works perfectly. :)

6. jhero macrumors 6502

jhero

Is there any more insight into this? have a vga monitor .

Does anyone use the mini dvi to vga and can comment?

7. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

I don't know what those other guys were smoking back in December when they wrote that...this has been covered dozens of times: you CANNOT use the miniDVI->DVI adapter PLUS a standard DVI->VGA adapter to connect a VGA monitor.

Why?

Because Apple's miniDVI->DVI adapters only output DVI-D. To convert from DVI->VGA, a DVI-I signal is required. The Apple miniDVI->DVI adapter discards the analog component from the miniDVI output. The pinout on the mini-DVI->DVI adapter is physically incompatible with your run-of-the-mill DVI->VGA adapter. The only way to connect a VGA monitor to a MacBook/iMac is to get the Apple miniDVI->VGA adapter.

8. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

I am really interested in learning about this cable you're talking about. I've never seen one, and I don't see how it would work with the Apple adapters since miniDVI->DVI doesn't output an analog signal (VGA).

9. Wover212 macrumors newbie

Thanks...

Roger, that is by far the best answer I have seen for this issue. I recently came across this problem, and had no idea why you could not go from MDVI -> DVI->VGA. Thank you very much!

10. technologyfan macrumors newbie

There are many types of adapters apparently. When I needed a similar adapter, I visited best buy, and he suggested me a certain adapter, but was very pricy, but I found the same product at http://www.dealsorigin.com

11. Ohrstrom, Mar 25, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2012

Ohrstrom macrumors 6502

Ohrstrom

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10428&cs_id=1042802&p_id=8119&seq=1&format=2

Seems like a nice product. I have an Apple Mini DP -> VGA myself, used on TV, image quality was fine, a little bit dark but thats probably fixable, I have used it so little I havent bothered to try.

EDIT: Mistook the capacity of the item a bit.

12. gama472 macrumors newbie

I am really interested in one of those adapters for my Early 2011 15" MBP. I saw them before at Amazon but I bought they might be bad. I need something like that because I need to plug my laptop to TVs that use HDMI and also projectors that use VGA so it would be annoying having to buy two separate adapters. Any one with feedback bout those adapters? Quality, functionality?