Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mattjgalloway

macrumors member
Original poster
May 21, 2006
Hey guys,

I am getting my replacement MacBook soon so I've been thinking of things to do with it and I had a brilliant idea about how I could use Front Row with my TV at Uni. I will have my main PC setup in my study area and then have my TV in my bedroom but use my MacBook as a station for it to receive videos streamed over wireless from my main PC using Front Row as a front-end. I'm liking the idea. I've done a similar thing using the open source Freevo software at home and it works great - streaming is fine even for high quality movies.

Anyway, I kinda begrudge paying £15 for a tiny cable! Does anyone know where I can pick-up a cheaper edition of the cable? I know a lot of the stuff on the Apple store is at a premium price - printers for example are much cheaper in-store at somewhere local. But I dunno about Mini-DVI cables cause they're not a standard connector are they?

Anyway, any ideas about my idea or the cable appreciated!

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
It's a proprietary Apple cable (you cannot normally turn DVI into S-Video). You have to pay Apple prices.

I have always assumed that the dongle somehow talks to the computer to tell it to output non-standard stuff on the pins to drive the S-Video and Composite data feeds.

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
mattjgalloway said:
Anyway, I kinda begrudge paying £15 for a tiny cable! Does anyone know where I can pick-up a cheaper edition of the cable? I know a lot of the stuff on the Apple store is at a premium price - printers for example are much cheaper in-store at somewhere local. But I dunno about Mini-DVI cables cause they're not a standard connector are they?

I don't think you can get it cheaper, as a student you can get a discount on Apple products, online it's £12.93 (on the higher education store), i personally think they arent too bad a deal, if I had a PC with DVI I would use an Apple cable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.