Mini, iBook, or suffer?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by altivec 2003, Jul 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. altivec 2003 macrumors regular

I currently own a Powermac G4 Digital Audio (533 Mhz) that I got approximately 5 years ago. It is a nice machine that does everything I need, but as a musician and one who is generally interested in music, I have become increasingly annoyed with fan noise. I just had my 17th birthday a few days ago, for which my dad promised me a "negotiable upgrade" to my G4. He intended this to be an accelerator card that would boost the cpu to 1.5+ Ghz. The thing is, I don't REALLY need a faster computer, and would much prefer a quieter one. I have already spent some time looking into replacing the fans, but that doesn't seem to be a valid solution. I also have in my possession a 266 Mhz (Wallstreet) G3 powerbook which has the opposite problem: It is nice and quiet, but it is too slow and has too little ram to run OS X. I have been using it for english essays and ti-83+ assembly programming, but I really need OS X for computer programming and web design. Also to be considered is the fact I have somewhat valuable m-audio pci audio card in my G4 and 640 megs of ram.

Whew, this is complicated :). So I am faced with the choices of getting Mac Mini, getting an iBook to replace the powerbook, and suffering through my Senior year of high school. The problem is, I'm going to be leaving for college at the end of next year, and will be getting a new macintel powerbook as soon as one is available. Of course I would love an iBook now, but I don't know if I should just live with my computer as it is. The iBook would undoubtedly stay in the family, probably going to my mother after I am done with it. To get a low price, I have decided I can get a 12 in. iBook and hook it up to my 17 in. desk monitor if I absolutely need a larger screen. As it is, the iBook has the same 1024*768 resolution that I use every day, just things would look smaller on the miniature screen. I found a refurbished 700mhz iBook for $499, the price of a mini, and would like to know what you guys think. It only has a 20 GB hard drive and 128 megs of ram, but I think I'll be able to use my iPod as an external hard drive (for storing music, if nothing else). I have no idea what condition it is in, but I can take a look at it (its offered by a local reseller).

So, that is the situation. Sorry if it was somewhat incoherent, but I have spent the past 2 hours drafting a letter to the girl with whom I went to prom, trying to fix things (communication difficulties... we need to understand each other better). I would appreciate any advice you might have. Heck, I would even appreciate advice with regard to my relationship problems :p.
    Thanks.

2. altivec 2003 thread starter macrumors regular

Ack, so many choices! I just found this:
    Powerbook G4 500 ("Titanium") (256 / 20GB / DVD / 15") for $599
    The problem is, it is not a local reseller, so I have no idea what condition it is in.

3. Deepdale macrumors 68000

Deepdale

Lay down on the couch and relax

Let's take a respite from all computer related woes. Before any of us can dispense relationship advice, we need the scoop on what happened during the prom (and afterwards) with your date.

The truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth ... NOW! We are here to be supportive and help like happy families do. :)

4. VanMac macrumors 6502a

VanMac

Maybe sell all the equipment you have in ebay, and use those funds to help purchase a loaded 15" PowerBook?

5. The_Man macrumors 6502

The_Man

IDK if thats what he is looking for because he already said 533 mhz was fast enough, so there would really be no point in spending the extra cash on that nice of a machine.

I think both the mini and the iBook are good for you from what it soundslike. I would just make my final choice depending on if I needed portability. If you dont, you can get a mini, which is a lot cheaper too. You said you also had a monitor already so you should be set with the cheap purchase of the mini. But if portability is factor, spring for the iBook. Either way, i think you will be happy with you decision.

6. altivec 2003 thread starter macrumors regular

Fair enough :)
    I suppose it is important that you here a little pre-prom information as well. We both went to the same private school for first grade, and were friends back then (as far as I can recall). We were separated once we entered public school, though, and I didn't really see her again until high school. In fact, we didn't have any classes together until last year, my Junior year. I'll admit it right now: I am shy around people I don't really know very well. And it is only worse with girls. So I didn't really talk to her most of the year, aside from helping her with a few physics problems in class. Then, my friends (yes, I'm blaming them!) pressured me into going to prom, something that I would likely never have done otherwise. I asked her to prom (in a rather original, if geeky way... at least flowers were involved so I thought it was safe) right before a physics test, and according to some people in my class she was smiling throughout the test. The test wasn't especially fun, so I took that to be a positive sign.

Ok, so that's how prom was arranged. The problem is, I still didn't really know her that well, and was terrified of the prospects of spending an entire evening with her. Considering my fears, it actually went pretty well, and we were able to talk mostly comfortably during dinner. Now, I can't dance, so she was trying to teach me at prom itself. Unfortunately, she didn't know how to dance to the music there (traditional dances don't mix all that well with techno/hip-hop). But over all, I think things went okay at prom itself.

It might sound funny, but I think that I felt comfortable talking with her then because I HAD to. That is, I was expected to and didn't have to worry about whether she didn't want to talk with me or not. But in class, when she might be busy studying or talking with somebody, it was different. I just didn't know if I should go up and talk with her. That is how school ended, with very little communication between us. There was no animosity, as far as I could tell, and I think we are just both shy people.

I hope that helps explain the situation a little better. It is totally truthful, but perhaps not complete. If you have any more specific questions, you are welcome to ask. The letter I wrote, and have yet to send, is an attempt at an honest presentation of how I feel and an apology for if she ever has felt ignored. From what I know of her personality, I believe she is responsible and mature enough to appreciate it. I wrote it from the standpoint of wanting to be friends who can understand each other for our last year in high school. The only thing I didn't, and am afraid to, discuss is that I am not religious. I am sure she is, as the private school we attended was religious. It is not that I am outwardly anti-religious, I just personally don't believe in religion. I have no problem with people who are.

If you really want me to, I can post the letter later. It is not completely done, but there is nothing too personal that I feel I can't post it. I made sure of that when I wrote it.

7. altivec 2003 thread starter macrumors regular

You are right that it is probably not what I am looking for. First, my dad is all against selling stuff online for security reasons (he is old fashioned). Second, I am going to be replacing whatever I get with a new macintel powerbook as soon as possible. And third, I want to keep the G4 around. The laptop can go, but I want the G4. The iBook I am considering is actually the same price as the bottom of the line mini, so price is not an issue. I just want to know if the iBook is a good value.

I'm leaving for a Frisbee game and shall return about 9P.M. US-Central

Thanks for your advice.

8. macbaseball macrumors 6502a

macbaseball

What about a dual 1.25 Power Mac. It was a top of the line model, but by now the retail value has pretty much bottomed out. You could resell it probably only losing about a hundred to 2 hundred dollars, and it would be really fast for what you want to do. For $700 on eBay, it seems like a steal.

BTW, your web site is great. I enjoyed looking through it, and admire the programming. I'm just starting to learn myself.

Finally, for the letter to your prom date, I would keep it really short and to the point. I'm not a girl, but I would imagine that it would be kinda weird receiving an "essay" for a letter. You might be more successful editing it down a little bit. I'm probably wrong, but that's just my opinion. It sounds like prom turned out pretty well though...

9. tristan macrumors 6502a

For your computer problems, I'd say the Mac Mini would be great. You could use your old Powermac monitor, which would save you some money, so the whole thing would be pretty affordable. Then buy a used iBook before you go to college in 18 months or whatever.

For your prom problems, don't send the girl the letter. That's too intellectual and she don't know what to do with it. Just tell her how much you like her and that she's pretty and then if she smiles, go ahead and kiss her.

10. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

To be honest that part should be a separate thread. He would get a much better response that way.

11. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Great advice on both counts!

The Mac mini can go to school, and he can get the Macintel PB for classes.

For the girl face to face is the best. If she says no, that will hurt - but rest assured you will get over it in short order.

12. altivec 2003 thread starter macrumors regular

Well, you are probably right about the letter. But, she is actually the "intellectual" type. Whether she would appreciate the letter or not, I cannot say, but she is ranked 4th in our class, and competition is fierce :p.

I am leaning toward the mini, but will probably not go with the suggestion of a dual 1.25 powermac. The problem is noise, not speed. If I correctly interpret the suggestion, that would be a mirrored door powermac which is supposed to be even more of a "wind-tunnel" than my current machine :eek:

13. thewhitehart macrumors 6502a

thewhitehart

Just kiss her. All girls like it when guys take action like that, even if they're 4th in class. Don't send a letter... that's so victorian. :D

14. altivec 2003 thread starter macrumors regular

Wow, how could I miss this… I must not be thinking after Frisbee. I must clarify my intentions with the date here. I want us to be friends. I think anything else would be pointless, as we will be separated in a year anyways (assuming we don’t attend the same college). This letter I would send is not intended to be a “romantic essay” (or really an essay for that matter. Remember the old times when letters weren’t considered essays?). I understand everyone’s confusion, but I just want to make it so it is not awkward being around her next year. Nothing more. I am reluctant to say all of this to her, though, because it sounds so cliché. Perhaps “lightening up” the letter will make it seem less like an essay, but to ME it seems like a letter I would send to any other friend. Oh, and this will be an e-mail actually, if that makes it seem a little less-essayish…. Oh CRAP… I almost forgot my MLA heading on the top of it… what teacher’s name should I use!? ;). Don’t worry, you still have ample time to convince me not to send it; I don’t plan to for another day or so.

I have dialup, and my dad is using the phone, so it may be some time before I post this. Ugh. :(

15. altivec 2003 thread starter macrumors regular

I’m working night and day (well, ok, really just a few hours here and there when I feel motivated) on a php/mysql version that has a comment system. It is almost done and I’ll be migrating to non .mac servers (for php support). As a plus, the jaguar-like windows are changing to tiger, and things are prettier over all. I am a little embarrassed that I have not uploaded more programs… the only ones that are up were made almost 2 years ago. I’ll get to work on that once I get a stable php site running. I’m a newbie to internet security, so I’m reluctant to release my current, possibly buggy version of the site. Does anybody see anything wrong in storing an md5 of the user’s password in a cookie to facilitate login? Sorry… I’m off topic in my own thread :p.

But good luck in your programming pursuits :).

16. Romulan macrumors member

Wait WAit WAIT!!!!! Hold on one second. Why are you creating problems where there are none?????? You said that there is no animosity between you and this girl. You both still like eachother. So the only reason you feel you have to write her a letter is because you feel you two haven't talked much since the prom. So instead of writing a letter where you explain how you two haven't been talking, why don't you just TALK To her. Or even just write her a normal email in which you TALK TO HER.

By writing a letter in which you talk about how things have been awkward and how you don't want them to be awkward anymore only makes things even more awkward!!!!!! What you are doing is this:

1)exlaining the problem to her
    2)explaining how want this problem to go away

What you should be doing is this:

1)fixing the problem by talking to her

Now wasn't that simple? Plus it takes half the effort! :D

Now that that's settled lets get this thread back on topic.......I'd get the ibook. Thank you. :cool:

17. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Romulan had some great advice.

Though I think you are thinking this through too much. HS is meant to get you ready for the real world. That means weathering the storms ahead. In some ways you are approaching an emotional issue too much like a program or product. I have had a few friends that have weathered both going off to college (in different states even)

Maybe I am just too old (47 yo here). We didn't have cell phones with instant messages, internet chatting, and the such. We had time at lunch, between classes, notes left in lockers - all opportunities to communicate.

Some of your comments indicate that you may want more than friendship. But the logic is getting the way. The logic may be correct, but the human, emotional element can not be driven by logic. And you can not grow emotionally if logic rules.

18. Rocksaurus macrumors 6502a

Rocksaurus

I'd suggest you write the letter, because as a shy person myself during that time in my life, I found I could communicate my feelings a lot more effectively in written form, and girls LOVE letters - they get to keep them, and she will, too.

I'd also suggest you try to date her... So what if it's only a year? How old are you, 17? You're not looking for a wife yet, so just have fun, enjoy your time with her - it will greatly enhance your senior year, which, in all fairness, is the best year in all of your schooling up to that point as it is.

19. altivec 2003 thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you for the advice. It certainly seems right, but I'm not sure if I agree with the "half the effort part" just because it is one step ;). At the moment, however, e-mail is the only way I have of communicating. Well, that is not entirely true. I could look up her phone number, but I thought that would seem strange. I still plan to send an email of SOME sort, because there was a mix-up with prom pictures that should be straightened out. The question is what to add to it. I'll probably follow your advice, dropping the other stuff and just explaining why I didn't send the e-mail earlier (I didn't have the address until a day or two ago). That would prevent the e-mail from seeming too strange without (I think) the drawbacks you describe.
    I have a good friend who is a girl and a friend of hers, and I might talk with her about it. She knows the girl, I am assuming, much better than I, and I trust her judgment. I also trust her to not betray me in any way. I will probably see her on monday, but can't really be sure. Monday, Wednesday, or Saturday, for those are our ultimate frisbee days.

Oh, I found an iBook for $450, and will check it out some time this week to see if it is in decent condition. This would accomplish two things: solve the noise problem and allow me to free up the space on my desk devoured by my crt monitor.

20. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

As a woman here, I must say, Romulan and Rocksaurus have AWESOME advice for you. Yes women love to keep letters. I recently found some from 10 years ago (I have some that are even older, hee). Romulan's suggestion of dropping the "hope it all wasn't too awkward," is a great idea.

And coming back around, I fully agree w/ Rocksaurus and Chip NoVa Mac that it seems like there is an element of romantic/emotional interest in this girl; go for her, you never really know what will happen in a year from now, but if you can draw anything positive from this relationship, then why not go for it instead of fearing what "may" come? My junior and senior year I became better friends w/ a guy while I was committed to a serious, long-distance relationship (the guy was one year older so he went off to college but we decided to try making it work). The long-distance guy didn't work out, but I have been going steady w/ the "friends only" guy now for over 3 years. You never know what's gonna happen.

Plus, chicks love having a set date for formals (i.e. if you're still together for senior prom). Ooh. Not to mention a set "valentine" for Valentine's day. Ok, really, most chicks love having a guy around for mushy events, period.

21. rose red macrumors member

It sounds as if you enjoyed the evening you spent with her, but did you tell her that? Perhaps you just need to say it, and if you feel the vibes are right ask her to go out somewhere another evening or afternoon, depending on what you want to do. Perhaps if you get talking she may have some advice about the computer problem. If she feels you have been so burdened by your computer issues she may excuse you for your perceived indifference to her. If that sounds illogical, it is, but then relationships always are, that's the fun of life, or will be when you look back. Good luck.

22. altivec 2003 thread starter macrumors regular

So I guess what your saying is, still send the letter, but try to avoid making it awkward in itself. I did my best when writing it, but I'll keep that in mind.

Another thing I have to offer that might make this "intellectual" or "old fashioned" approach seem more appropriate is that, at prom, I remember she said something like "We were born a generation or two too late, weren't we?" Despite my interest in technology, I really think that sums up the situation quite well.

Oh, and I especially appreciate any female advice I can get :). That is absolutely not to say I don't value the others, but it has a special sense of authority :p.
    Thanks, all.

Continuing in the dual-nature of this thread, I would like to ask if I should worry about logic board problems with the used g3 iBook. If I recall correctly, that was a major issue.

23. macbaseball macrumors 6502a

macbaseball

Definitely don't get a G3, unless money is a huge issue. There were problems with the later versions, and the earlier versions are not a good deal for the price. I've seen your work, and I know you say you don't need a fast computer, I believe the slowness of a early G3 will constrain you. You would be much better off getting a Mini, if that is your price range, because like you said, Minis are silent.

24. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

i see so many young high school and college students at the local coffee shops and bookstores with their laptops, and they almost always leave them sitting there when they get more food or go to the bathroom

my ibook has served me well and i made sure it didn't have legs to walk away by keeping by my side when i went to the bathroom or anywhere

as long as you keep your ibook near you and make sure it doesn't get stolen, it will do what you need unless you are a heavy graphics person or gamer

25. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

I would avoid the G3 iBooks, but if you end up getting one that fails due to logic board issue, Apple should fix it for free, even if it is out of warranty. Still a good idea to stay away from them, though (I have a 700 mhz iBook and the board has failed twice.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.