Mini iPod Buzz...

Discussion in 'MacRumors News Discussion (archive)' started by MacRumors, Dec 30, 2003.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

More than ever, the mainstream media seems to be picking up on pre-MacWorld expo rumors, with a flurry of mini iPod articles...

Slashdot.org
    ThisIsLondon.com (Evening Standard)
    SFGate.com
    CBS Marketwatch
    Scotsman.com

While some claim more authority than others... the source of all these articles appears to be a common Reuters article published on December 24th, based on the usual rumor sites. As a result, these articles lend no more credance to the story than that of the Mac Rumor web.

"Original" sources of the rumor include:

Apple Turns
    Page 2 MacRumors
    Appleinsider
    ThinkSecret
    MacRumors

2. macrumors regular

Steamboatwillie

One would think that journalists would have more integrity!

3. macrumors regular

In demand!

If nothing else, it demonstrates that there is a huge demand for such a device and with a low price point. My only question is how will this kind of device impact sales of larger capacity iPods? My guess is that sales for the larger version will be impacted significantly. People plunk down $300 - 400 because they have to, but if you can have a smaller capcity drive for only $100 then that will be the hot ticket. Perhaps the larger iPods will evolve into video devices.

4. macrumors 6502a

Tiauguinho

Heh! Here we go with the hype! Im anxious to see what will happen on the 6th of January! And specially anxious to see everybody discussing on the Macrumors channel on iChat before the keynote, then as Steve speaks, its only "WOW, they own my wallet"! :D

5. MOM
    macrumors member

Good for MacRumors to point out how this rumor is exploding and how mainstream media is publishing what is really just-RUMOR. Having said that, I've found in the past that Apple will let a few word out when expectations run way ahead of what they can deliver. Their continued silence as the mainstream press start reporting this suggests that there is some truth to the whoole thing.

6. macrumors 65816

'apple announced...'

these articles make it sound like a foregone conclusion.

I hope SJ announces G5 iMacs and no new iPods just to screw these 'news' sites. I especially hate CBS.

no crazy hype page on apple.com yet.

7. macrumors regular

Oh mama, you know Steve is just seething with rage right now. Another year, another keynote surprise out of the bag.

8. macrumors regular

Re: Mini iPod Buzz...

Great analysis! Five publications that all use a common source still only represents one source of information.

The CIA could use someone like you!

(PS. I like how Slashdot is considered "mainstream media" now)

9. macrumors 6502

My favorite one is from the Evening Standard, which says "manufacturer Apple has announced a cut-price mini version."

<sarcasm> Wow, when did Apple announce that? </sarcasm>

:rolleyes:

10. macrumors newbie

iPod Mania

Tickle Me Elmo had more coverage. It's just the media writing about the hot new thing. This too shall pass

11. macrumors regular

Steamboatwillie

Or... laughing his ass off 'cause there are no "Mini iPods" :eek:

12. macrumors 68000

James Craner

I wonder if their is any downside to Apple potentially releasing a much cheaper ipod so soon after Christmas. I suspect there may be the odd parent or two who was persuaded by 'little jonnie' to fork out for a top of the line ipod as 10 and 20 gigs were out of stock, when in a few days later they would have been able to buy a much cheaper ipod to store all of 'little jonnies' music collection! I can see some backlash coming if they do price it as low as some people are predicting.

13. macrumors member

This article is designed to increase the stock price heading into expo. On the 6th, when the products are officially announced, the big investors will sell and the stock will go down, just like when the G5 was introduced.

14. macrumors regular

Re: In demand!

I disagree. If people forked out the higher amounts simply because they had to, then no other iPod would sell other than the 10GB model, as the others would be overkill. But the facts show that the 20GB model is the number 3 MP3 device in the US, and the 40GB is the number 5. There will still be a huge demand for large MP3 music devices for people with 10+ GB of music.

The mini-pods just allow Apple to fill places 2 and 4 in the top five list!

15. macrumors regular

Apple Stores are the same way...

There have been a couple times where I've been at the Apple store and they laugh at what the "rumor sites" are saying, the latest one being the duel processor powerbooks.

I think that, with the iPod and the iTMS, there will be more people paying close attention as to the Macworld event. Not just for the Keynote, but also for news on what other iPod accessories will be announced.

I just hope that Steve doesn't get on stage, brag about iTMS and iPod, announce a point release for iPhoto, iMovie, and how great Final Cut Pro 4 is and not release anything new. There is a good chance that there will be no new (or at least exciting) announements during the keynote.

16. macrumors regular

If there is this much clamor and it turns out to be true apple is going to sell boatloads of these minis.

17. macrumors 65816

pyrotoaster

I saw this in the CNN Headline News Ticker the other day (that's how nuts things are).

And arn, no mention of MacUnderground? I write about rumors, too (and I cite the original source!)... ;)

18. macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

Everyone is gonna be real sad if there are no miniPods. Lets all cross our fingers:)

19. macrumors regular

I wouldnt be surprised if the evening standard article was just picking up on the earlier daily telegraph article, which was on flagged on their front page with an article on page 5. The telegraph is a pretty big, national newspaper in the UK, whilst the standard, although big, is just for London. Although the word 'expected' features a lot, it read this morning as a 'definite', down to the expected pricing (65 quid), storage and options. It would be unusual (and bad editorial) for the telegraph to publish a note on their front page based purely on rumour and not say it was merely a rumour. Which leads me to believe there is more substance in this...but then, it is christmas week, and no-doubt the hacks would rather be down the pub than checking stories... :)

since you have to register, heres the article from www.telegraph.co.uk...

20. macrumors newbie

Motivation for bigger iPods --> new panther features

Remember that one feature that was announced with Panther long before it came out, but then was tucked away...iPod at Home or something? Well basically it syncs your Home directory on your ipod, so when you go somewhere else, you've got your stuff.

I have a feeling that Jobs is saving this for this time, giving great motivation for us to not buy the smaller ones (though they will still sell) but get the advantages of the higher capacities. I love my 40GB. I only have like 1.5 GB on there right now, but I could use it for anything like digital video or DVDs, etc.

I think there is a lot more in store with iPods than meets the eye, especially these bigger ones. Have any of apple's products been better when they were cheaper? I don't think so.

21. macrumors 68030

Les Kern

Or maybe, just maybe, it was leaked by Apple, and there is even bigger news.
    I doubt it, but I'll watch.

22. macrumors 6502

I won't be. And I truely believe there will not be "mini"' ipods. Currently, there is no reason for Apple to bring these out.

These rumors sarted one fine day on Page 2. The, other sites started adding their own opinion/fluff. They even go as far as quoting one another. The only reason I would believe they would come out is because Think Secret said so. However, I still wonder why Applle would canabalized ipod sales like this. The ipod is selling so well.

My vote: No "mini" ipods from Apple at MWSF. Quote me on the 6th. I can take some bashing if I'm wrong.

23. macrumors 68000

dongmin

vertical markets

I think Apple has the bigger picture in mind. They want people to be locked in to the iPod-iTMS-AAC experience. It's all tied together.

Think of the iPod as the new PlayStation. People are gonna get attached. And they'll upgrade as new features are introduced. I think it's good long-term planning.

Apple is competing not only in terms of the hardware, but also in the music store, the file format, and the very way of buying music.

24. Guest

caveman_uk

I won't. I've already got an ipod....:rolleyes:

25. macrumors 68000

dongmin

Re: Apple Stores are the same way...

They can laugh all they want, but they don't know any more than you do. In fact, if you're careful to separate the trash speculation sites (e.g. MacOSRumors) from the more credible sources, then you can do pretty well in anticipating.

Please, it's 'dual,' not 'duel.' I'm not harping on you, I just see that a lot on this forum. On second thought, 'dueling processors' sound pretty cool...