- - Mini iPod or iPod? - -

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by kjdenison, Jan 6, 2004.

1. kjdenison macrumors 6502

Hi,
    I need lots of input on what you think i should do. I need to buy an iPod, but which one. Rite now on my iTunes i have 5.63gb of music, So im thinking i could probley filter out some crap for 4gb possibly? I really would like to have the smaller size, and i like the design better on the smaller ipod. Or should i be buying a bulky 15gig? Tell me what everyone thinks. I need to put my order in very soon! Ive been a huge Apple fan for quite some time and am REALLY excited and ready to be an iPod user. Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

IMO if you can afford the extra $50 for the 15GB iPod, go for it. It just doesn't make any sense to me to pay $250 for 4GB, when for $50 you can have 15GB :confused:

edit: oh, btw, the normal iPod are hardly "bulky".

3. kjdenison thread starter macrumors 6502

education

well i have an education discount also, and i have the money. If it wasn't so fricking cool looking i would also say what the hell, 4gig to 15 for 50$ i mean obvioulsy. But it is really what i would like, just the cost/gig is absolutley outrageous. what to do?!

4. pivo6 macrumors 68000

pivo6

Re: education

With the miniPods at $249, I think it's a no brainer. I'd spend the extra $50 and get the iPod. I was waiting for today to see what the announcement was going to be. $249 is not a low enough price point for for 4GB for me.

5. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

may people will be in the similar situation as yours...

with edu discount, minipod is $229. so that's $40 cheaper than the edu. discounted 15 GB ipod...

i'd personally go for the 15 GB. you can never have enough capacity - music collection hardly every shrink. they can only increase...

plus you can use the excess capacity to back up files and folders on your mac...

6. gemio17 macrumors regular

go for the 15, 'nuff said....what dummies at apple, 250 for 4gb-are they nuts???? how disappointing:( :mad:

7. kjdenison thread starter macrumors 6502

i definatley know i can use the extra space, why did they have to make the mini ipod so cool, and why couldn't they have done like a 6 gig or somethin, ha ha. ARGHHH!!!! I need to decide tonight too, because if i order the 15 gig i will need it before i travel back to school. HELP!!

8. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

get the 20gb

The 20gb is $369 with your discount, includes a REMOTE, DOCK, and carry case (a $117 value alone...although minis have a belt clip :eek: )

You can then
    (a) carry ALL your current and future songs
    (b) carry files with you too

I always tend to think long term, especially when dropping $230-$370 on an iPod.

Is it me, or is anyone not impressed with the mini ipod (with exception of size) ?

9. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Re: get the 20gb

No, it's not you. TRUST me!

10. groov' macrumors regular

just wait

all you guys (and girls?) are wondering which one to buy. SDont buy anuthing now, just wait a couple of months.

They'll come down to a reasonable level....

11. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Re: just wait

they're not even gonna be available outside the US until April for god sake...I just can't believe Apple today :(

12. kjdenison thread starter macrumors 6502

bought a 10

I cant wait any longer, ive been waiting like 3 months already for the expo, so i could see the mini's before i bought. Now i really do like how they look, its just killing me how they are priced, and also i would have to wait till febuary 16 anyways, i might as well get a 15, i dont have money for a 20 rite now i dont think. Im gonna be pissed im sure when i see the mini though, and see how neat it looks.

13. kjdenison thread starter macrumors 6502

quick question

quick question about the normal ipods, how are they for excercising?? Like i lift and run and everything, will i be able to clip it on my shorts, or will it be too heavy. That is a big buying point for me.

14. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

To mini or not to mini?

I too think the pricing is a little high, but I'm not so sure the mini iPod is so terrible... Right now I'm thinking about getting an iPod for my Dad. He's on the road a lot and would like to take his music with him. The issue is he only has about 3-4 gigs of music max, and I know he'd want the dock and remote to make the experience more enjoyable. This means that I would have to get him a 10-15GB iPod and spend another $100 more for the dock and remote, or spend $150 more and just get him a 20GB model. Since he's only going to use a fraction of the space your spending alot for memory that you aren't going to use. That's why if the mini's do come with the dock and remote it will be worth the cost.

But it looks like I have until April to decide. :(

15. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

Re: To mini or not to mini?

mini ipod comes with neither the remote nor the dock. they are both optional and must be purchased separately.

16. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Re: quick question

I use my ipod to run and lift. Even when wearing basketball short (you know, just the elastic) they have never even pulled at my drawers, even in the case. I was quite surprised, to be honest...

17. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Re: quick question

I use my ipod to run and lift. Even when wearing basketball short (you know, just the elastic) they have never even pulled at my drawers, even in the case. I was quite surprised, to be honest...

18. kjdenison thread starter macrumors 6502

clip?

do you use a clip? or how do you do it?

19. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Re: clip?

I have used both the clip on the carrying case and the incase clip. The only issue is I pull out the earbud cord when I sprint (duh, though). The clip holds great, and not nearly heavy enough to notice sometimes.

20. mmmbop macrumors regular

iPod In-Ear Headphones

Anyone know how the new iPod In-Ear Headphones work with the remote? i.e. how short/long the lead is.

I was tempted to buy the Sony equivalent a few months back but didn't because of the extra lead baggage.

21. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

I like the new mini iPod, sure, they could be cheaper, but I don't need anywhere near 15 gigs of storage space for my music, hell, I don't even need 4 gigs. By the time my birthday rolls around, they may be $20-30 cheaper, anyway.

22. kjdenison thread starter macrumors 6502

help

so i REALLY would like the mini because of its size and style. It really is That is what i wanted, but i have a good 6gig of music. Should i just get the mini and only put the very best of my music on it, or should i get a bigger 15 which really isn't what i want, and have all my music on it and keep expanding.... I guess the question is, should i get the 4 gig, and just use it as a best of collection carry around device? Or is that as stupid as im sure it is.

23. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Maybe in a few more months they will have a 6 gig mini iPod...they just get bigger for cheaper all the time, so if you don't need one now, I'd suggest waiting for a while.

24. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Mini or iPod?

I would REALLY recommend the 15 or 20 gig if you have more then 4 gigs of music....OR, go through your collection and erase what you don't actually listen to. You might find your song list shrinking enough to warrant the mini. I just think it's a waste to buy an iPod for only some of your music....HOWEVER, I already have the 10gig...and I REALLY am thinking about getting a mini just cuz they are SO damn cool.

25. kjdenison thread starter macrumors 6502

buying a 15gig

alright ive decided, i need all my music with me, i dont want to just have some of it, because then im gonna want the stuff i dont have with me. Time to accessorize, I need to plug this into my car receiver.. should i get a iTrip, or what cables do i need to get to hook up to aux. Also what is a good clear case, i want to protect from scratches but i want to be able to see the beauty of the ipod, plus i need it to have a clip preferabley. Any help would be great!