mini ipod query

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by rogerw, Sep 12, 2004.

1. rogerw macrumors 6502

got 2 macs. daughter has an ipod mini which was originally 'set up' on an iMac (would have been the ibook but it was away bieng fixed at time). no probs there but and i tried to update my daughters ipod with some downloaded (itms) tunes on the ibook. a message comes up and asks if we want to delete the existing playlists (from imac) and then load the new ones. What we really want to happen is just add the other tunes to the existing playlist. is this possible?
    Any advice please

2. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Not really... iPods are designed to have one Mac to get music from, so you can't just walk around adding people's music libraries to your own. If you were going to set the iPod up on the iBook to begin with, why not just move the music from the iMac to the iBook, have an iTunes library that's complete, and reset the iPod on the iBook... it'll download the entire library that way...

paul

3. rogerw thread starter macrumors 6502

yes ta for that, i just wanted someone to confirm that was the case (about ipod-1 mac only). it was only cos the imac is at my office some distance away and it was the weekend and just tried the ibook. I transfer the files during the week. Thanks again

4. MemphisSoulStew macrumors regular

You can do this. When it asks if you want to replace the tracks just click No and the iPod will mount and appear in the Source List. Go into iPod preferences (click the button in the lower right hand corner of iTunes) and select the option to manually manage songs and playlists, click Yes on the next pop-up message window, click OK on the iPod prefs and drag and drop to your heart's content. I'm pretty sure this will only set prefs for that iPod, but you'll find out soon enough if you plug another iPod in and it doesn't automatically update.

BTW I know someone called Roger W - are you a soul fan by any chance?

5. rogerw thread starter macrumors 6502

ta for that, i'll try later.

btw er yes but not hardcore. wot area is your roger w?

6. MemphisSoulStew macrumors regular

AFAIK he's in North-East England, but I don't know exactly where he lives. We know each other from a topica.com group mailing list, and we've met a couple of times at soul nights at Lightwater in Surrey that he has travelled down for. Probably not you then...

7. rogerw thread starter macrumors 6502

fraid not , but ta for help!