mini iPods aren't as cool

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by phreakout13, Jan 7, 2004.

1. phreakout13 macrumors 6502

phreakout13

hi
    Has anyone seen the new mini iPods yet?
    Personally, I don't like them as much. They're too girly and sacraficing as low as 6g HD space so it can be a little smaller doesn't seem worth $50 to me. I can understand that Mac wants to compete in the market for small mp3 players, but they need to charge WAY less. Oh well, I'm probably just saying this cuz i just got a new 10g iPod for christmas.

2. mcs37 macrumors regular

mcs37

Maybe around $200?

I think the new ones are great and I wish they had announced them this past summer, although I am happy with my 20 GB iPod, and I use about 4.5 GB of music with it anyway.

Apple really needs to price it around $200 rather than $250. It makes people want to jump to $300 and get the 15 GB model with almost four times the storage capacity.

Did Apple miss the mark on this one? Nah, they are doing this on purpose, because I refuse to believe the people at Apple would not have noticed that the 15 GB iPod is only $50 more while high-end flash Mp3 players are $50 less.

They're doing this to encourage more sales of the iPod before they really drop the price of the minis into the $150-200 range, where serious market share could be achieved. I am sure they will drop to $199 by summer.

Now people who see the iPod mini will think well, only another $50 isn't bad... and then they'll buy them and tell their friends, and eventually iPod will account for 75% of Mp3 players sold, and Apple will be damn happy.

Nice little strategy but they obviously have pissed many people off with that crucial $50 additional cost.

3. kevin49093 macrumors regular

OMG mini iPods?
    I am so glad you started this thread to discuss them!

4. Frisco macrumors 68020

Re: Maybe around $200?

Good points! I agree with you. It would have been more tasteful for Apple to have come out with a lower cost for the Mini's from the beginning.

Apple when are you going to realize us Mac users hold you to a higher standard!

5. GigaWire macrumors 6502

This jump to the next level pricing scheme reminds me of single 1.8 G5 vs. Dual 2.0

6. Kid Red macrumors 65816

Re: Maybe around $200?

You don't get it do you? The RIo was $250 and that's the iPod's competition. So what does Apple do? They PRICE IT TO MATCH THE COMPETITION!!

Yes, the bigger iPod is $50, so when your PC FRIEND DECIDES NOT TO GET A RIO, AND WANTS A MINI, HE MAY END UP GETTING THE 15G BECAUSE IT'S $50 MORE!!

This iPod is ONLY MEANT TO TAKE AWAY marketshare from FLASH PLAYERS!! This is not meant as an option for mac heads who want to buy an iPod!

7. tjwett macrumors 68000

tjwett

guys, there is a thread over 25 pages long in the News section discussing all these things.

8. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Re: Re: Maybe around $200?

I think you don't get it and mcs37 does.

You're the only one mentioning Mac (not mac) users.

The iPod mini may be meant to take marketshare from flash players eventually, but is not priced to do that right now. It will almost certainly be priced that way later. In the meantime, it prods anyone interested into looking at both and will probably prompt them to go for the 15 GB because $50 gets them another 11 GB.

9. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

or the gas pricing... regular, plus and super. it's usually like plus = regular + 20 cents but super = plus + 5 cents.

if you are not going to get regular, you might as well get super...