iPad mini Mini landscape mode keyboard

Discussion in 'iPad' started by deraj090, Nov 4, 2012.

1. macrumors regular

Feb 18, 2010
    I haven't had the chance to get to an Apple store to check out the mini, but want to place an order.

I have normal size hands (male). One thing I love about the full-size iPad is that you can type with all fingers in landscape mode, almost as if you're typing on a regular keyboard. Can you do that with the mini? Or is it more difficult with the smaller screen/keys?

2. macrumors regular

Apr 2, 2012
    You absolutely cannot type on the Mini like it's a keyboard. However, it is much easier to hit the keys with your thumb due to the lower travel. On the full size iPad, I routinely stretched and strained by thumb to hit keys in the middle.
  3. macrumors G4

Jun 12, 2012
    Whether in portrait or landscape, with the mini you will probably find yourself using it more like an iPhone with two thumbs.
  4. thread starter macrumors regular

Feb 18, 2010
  5. macrumors 6502

Mar 6, 2009
    Bristol, England.
    In portrait I type with my thumbs as they can reach now, in landscape I am still able to touch type without much difficulty.
  6. macrumors 6502

Mar 8, 2011
    Houston, TX
    I second this. I went to go check out the mini just yesterday and this was one of my concerns. I found that it was easiest to use thumbs in portrait and it was still acceptable to type using all your fingers in landscape.

It obviously is a little smaller and will take a some getting used to.