Mini low RAM advice (Tiger)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by ATRAX, Jun 8, 2005.

1. ATRAX macrumors newbie

ATRAX

Just a little advice to everyone who hasn't upgraded their factory 256MB of RAM yet. By default Dashboard has calendar, clock, weather, and other widgets open which consume a good deal of RAM. By closing these (hold option key, move your mouse over the desired widget and click the x icon) I freed up a good 80-100MB of RAM and my Mini is a lot easier to live with.
    :)

2. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I would certainly recommend that you get more RAM. You will be amazed in the increase in speed. Mac OS X likes RAM. Crucial that is listed above you be your best bet for RAM.

3. angee macrumors newbie

Wow, I'm glad I upgraded to 512

Great thread. I was going to buy my Mac Mini locally, but they only had a MM with 256 meg. The sales guy assured me that was enough, blah blah... But I want to run MS Office, so I didn't think it was.

So I ordered from Apple.

Glad I made the right decision. :) Thanks.

Now all I have to do is wait!

Angela

http://onlineideabuzz.typepad.com/

4. AliensAreFuzzy macrumors 68000

AliensAreFuzzy

Upgrade to AT LEAST 512 RAM right now. If you can afford it, go for the 1GB you will love it so much.

5. ATRAX thread starter macrumors newbie

ATRAX

Yeah, I installed 1 gig yesterday, but closing all my widgets definitely helped when I only had 256.

6. MmmPancakes macrumors 6502

MmmPancakes

My Mini ran on 256 Ok..but it was just Ok...I could run Office, iTunes, iPhoto, and Firefox pretty smoothly at the same time, but I did a self install to 512, and it works great now.

I bought 512 of memory off ebay for around 50 bucks, sold the 256 card that was in the Mini for about 20, so it was a relatively small investment that made a big difference. Even since I upgraded to Tiger, it runs about 30 percent faster than it did on Panther, also. Right not, I don't see a trememndous need to go to 1Gb....

7. echeck macrumors 68000

echeck

It all depends on what you're using the mini for. If all you're doing is email and a little word processing then the standard 256 would be fine. If you want to use iLife and such then I would say at *least* upgrade to 512. I plan on getting 1 gig with mine when I order it after the next update. Please update come soon!

8. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

Open Activity monitor, close all of your Widgets and see how much ram is free's up. Also, my Finder (after coming from Dashboard and or opening Activity monitor) shows 89% CPU usage. I don't like that, from finder!!!