Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bachjoy1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 11, 2005
Help,
I just returned from an apple store, Ipod mini in hand, but I am concerned about the proximity of the next mini. I was waiting until today to see if apple released an update to the mini, but as they did not I assumed it would be safe in purchasing one. What are the chances of apple deciding to update the mini in the next few weeks? I was under the false impression that apple released an update to the mini's system software today, but todays update merely contains the one released back in november. I am afraid to open the mini as I would have to pay a restocking fee if I decide to upgrade. What should I do? Wait and sit on my mini, return it, or use it with the knowledge that my purchase is "safe" for the next month or so?

Thanks in advance

enclave

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2004
bachjoy1 said:
Help,
I just returned from an apple store, Ipod mini in hand, but I am concerned about the proximity of the next mini. I was waiting until today to see if apple released an update to the mini, but as they did not I assumed it would be safe in purchasing one. What are the chances of apple deciding to update the mini in the next few weeks? I was under the false impression that apple released an update to the mini's system software today, but todays update merely contains the one released back in november. I am afraid to open the mini as I would have to pay a restocking fee if I decide to upgrade. What should I do? Wait and sit on my mini, return it, or use it with the knowledge that my purchase is "safe" for the next month or so?

Thanks in advance

Use it, why wait, it's a mini so I doubt even if they did release a new rev that it would be much bigger. Just enjoy your new toy I say!

bachjoy1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 11, 2005
Recent rumors hinted at a possible 5 GB iPod mini.

Yeah, thats why I am a bit hesitent, but then again the two apple (retail) stores I called about their stock of the mini seemed to have a large inventory, which is not like apple to have a large inventory of an old product immediately before they upgrade it. I made the purchase because it seemed to me at the time that while new minis were coming, they were at least a few months away.

Also, I have heard conflicting accounts of using iPods with usb 1.1. I was of the understanding that all usb 2 devices were backwards compatible with usb 1.1. I understand that the transfer rate will be absolutely awful (I will be purchasing a firewire card this weekend), but if I do decide that I am keeping my mini, I would love to start using it as soon as possible.

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
IMO you made a good move waiting until after MWSF to buy your mini. Even if it's updated in the next few months, it'll only be 1 GB or something, so you shouldn't feel too much remorse. Enjoy the toy and laugh at those who's stuck playing the waiting game.

sjpetry

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2004
Tamarindo, Costa Rica
Raven VII said:
IMO you made a good move waiting until after MWSF to buy your mini. Even if it's updated in the next few months, it'll only be 1 GB or something, so you shouldn't feel too much remorse. Enjoy the toy and laugh at those who's stuck playing the waiting game.

He makes a good point if you want something get it, if you can afford it. :)

bachjoy1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 11, 2005
Yeah,
I just opened my mini. I'm letting it charge for the full 3 hours as apparently that is the first step in squeezing extra battery life out of the thing. I can't wait to use it. The extra gig really isn't all that important to me. I figure if I find my needs are different, its only $25 to return it, and I don't forsee apple adding too much to a new mini. Not to mention the fact that I really love the mini's design. Thank you all for your help. :)

verozov

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2005
Columbia, SC
man...

if i would've just gotten a mini i definetly wouldn't have been able to wait to open it, much less wait long enough to post a thread on it! good job! i would've been ripping off the plastic on the way out of the store...

Coolnat2004

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2005
I ordered a brand new 20GB iPod on Monday, and it shipped out before the Keynote. I'm glad, too, because Apple's site is still being bombarded with hits. It's set to come here friday!

I know that I will be ripping it out of the box the second I see it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.