Mini or G5 ?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mrfrosty, Oct 1, 2005.

1. mrfrosty macrumors 6502

Oct 1, 2005
    Hello, Ive used windows for around 15 years but In the last three years I have moved mostly to Linux as I got fustrated with XP trying to protect me from myself! which I really dont need. Linux as a full time desktop is still a little way (but not far!) off for me......So my choice is made....I'm turning away from the dark side(s) towards the light..........So now....Do I buy a MAC mini (when the upgraded ones are official) or do I buy a friends 1.6Ghz 17" 768Mb G5 ? For about the same price as a top spec mini.....I really can't decide....I'm a little worried that the G5 is a bit of a version 1.0 type thing if you know what I mean.....:)

Any advice would be gratefully recieved.....
  2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

Mar 25, 2002
    London, England
  3. aswitcher macrumors 603

Oct 8, 2003
    Canberra OZ
  4. yoak macrumors 65816

Oct 4, 2004
    Oslo, Norway
    Yes, go for the iMac.
    You get more for your money.
  5. risc macrumors 68030

Jul 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Australia
    My GF has the exact iMac you are considering buying it's a great machine. Her sister has a Mac mini and they don't even compare speed wise. The iMac is heaps faster, comes with a great TFT monitor, is easily upgradable, it is as quiet as the mini. Just buy it!
  6. combatcolin macrumors 68020

Oct 24, 2004
    Northants, UK
    iMac, more ports for one thing and its got lots of RAm which always helps.

Only downside is no build in BT, which isn't an issue if you don't have a mobile phone with it.
  7. dmw007 macrumors G4

May 26, 2005
    Working for MI-6
    Go with the 17' 1.6GHz iMac G5. I use one just like that at college (except with only 512MB DDR) and I love it- highly recommended.

If you get it, don't forget to set processor performance to highest- it will provide even more bang for your buck. :)

P.S.- Welcome to Mac mrfrosty! :) :) :)
  8. Brize macrumors 6502a

Jun 13, 2004
    Another vote for the iMac here: it'll be a lot quicker than the mini.
  9. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Dec 21, 2002
    Yahooville S.C.
    A 1.6 G5 iMac isnt going to have much over a 1.5 G4 if anything. With the new 64 mb video in my view, and with the ability to use different monitors, or keep your monitor when you want a new machine the new upgraded MacMini offers a lot. I would go Macmini. New everything under warranty vs ImacG5 used that has a poor poor history with lots of problems. MacMini . If we were talking about say a 2.0 G5 Imac it would be different but the 1.6 first run? I wouldnt bite but thats me.
  10. AstrosFan macrumors 6502

Jul 26, 2005
    If you read these forums, you will certainly read many posts reporting problems with the Rev A iMacs - however, it's difficult to translate that into an actual true incidence of problems.
    At a website like this, those who are having problems are going to post to try & solve them. However, those people who have a Rev A iMac that's working perfectly (like myself), are NOT going to post simply to say "Everything looks good here."

If you are concerned about the Rev A history, one question would be to find out when your friend bought the iMac. If it's within one year, you could consider getting AppleCare for another 2 years of coverage.

I think between the two, the iMac will give you better performance & overall bang-for-your buck.

Good luck!
  11. Eluon macrumors regular

Apr 14, 2005
    Spring, Texas
  12. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Dec 21, 2002
    Yahooville S.C.
    You may want to wait a week or two and see how the performance is on the new 1.5 64mb Mini vs the 1.6 iMac. I bet they are about the same. Like Astrosfan said if you go iMac G5 route make sure you can get that extended warranty just in case you need a midplane at some point.
  13. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

Feb 10, 2004
    I'm gonna say the mini. I had a RevA 1.8ghz 17" iMac and swapped it for a top spec mini (in sig) and LCD (also in sig). I like the mini MUCH better. Quieter is the main improvement. It feels just as fast, except for some demanding games.

The new 1.5ghz mini with the 64mb VRAM will likely be pretty nice when you add a gig for RAM. With the standard BT and AE it's a really good value.

As mentioned, go read the Apple Support forums... they are full with RevA iMac owners (and RevB for that matter) who have all manner of problems. Mainly, I believe caused by the heat of packing everything in a thin package.

HDD overheats and fails, the fans run non-stop, etc. Apple could have fixed a lot of this by going to an external PSU like the mini, but they didn't, so I would advice staying away; probably until the Intel iMacs come out.
  14. sebisworld macrumors 6502

Jun 24, 2003
    I just got a 2Ghz iMac. It makes my parents Mac mini (1.42) look like a calculator with an oversized display. If you are really not looking for performance though, I would get an iMac G4 of eBay: The. Best. Computer. Ever. Designed. Period.

But seriously, get the iMac. Faster processor, faster harddrive, easily expandable RAM.