Mini or iMac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Bloo Ice, Jun 4, 2005.

  1. Bloo Ice macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 4, 2005
    Location:
    Kansas
    #1
    Hi. I've been asking around here seeing what I should do, and have gotten a little closer to a decision. In Sepember, I'll be old enough to get a job...yay! A whole $6/hr! Not bad for a first job [my dad is friends w/ the manager of the store, thats how I already have it and so maybe there will be moving up quicker than the rest]. But for now, I'm planning on going ahead and buying a new mini or iMac. I've done my homework on this, and figure that I could buy a nice mini [1.42 w/ BT and self upgraded ram and faster hd], around December, or wait until May and get a stock 17" 1.8 iMac. I don't particularly want an eMac, if I'm going to buy new. I know that by the time I get to buying that the prices may come down, or there may be some christmas specials going on, but for the sake of right now prices, what do you say I should do? Buy a mini and upgrade it in December or wait another 5 months and get the iMac?
     
  2. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

    Plymouthbreezer

    Joined:
    Feb 27, 2005
    Location:
    Massachusetts
    #2
    I'd get the iMac, although the Mac Mini can be a fast little bugger.

    What do you plan on doing with your system?
     
  3. Bloo Ice thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 4, 2005
    Location:
    Kansas
    #3
    Instant messaging, surfing, word processing, listening to music, simple games, and some light video editing. I'd use iMovie for the video editing.
     
  4. zap2 macrumors 604

    zap2

    Joined:
    Mar 8, 2005
    Location:
    Washington D.C
    #4
    iMac if u like all that stuff done fast, wait i could be worth it. ANd after macworld we could see a iMac update
     
  5. tech4all macrumors 68040

    tech4all

    Joined:
    Jun 13, 2004
    Location:
    NorCal
    #5
    Do you plan on buying used? Because by next May the 1.8Ghz probably won't be available anymore. Any ideas what type of monitor you would use the Mac mini?
     
  6. Bloo Ice thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 4, 2005
    Location:
    Kansas
    #6
    Well, right now I plan on buying new. But your right, they might not be available. I'll try to get something in that price range though. I may have to get used though.
    As for the monitor on the mini, I plan on using my 19" Sony CRT. It has 2 inputs, so that'd be good. I have a DVI>VGA adapter too, but I think the mini comes with one anyway.
     
  7. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

    Plymouthbreezer

    Joined:
    Feb 27, 2005
    Location:
    Massachusetts
    #7
    If you're doing any video stuff, I'd go with the iMac, just for the extra speed.

    And if the 1.8GHz is gone by then, I'm sure the 2GHz will be around the same price as the 1.8GHz is now.
     
  8. mad jew Moderator emeritus

    mad jew

    Joined:
    Apr 3, 2004
    Location:
    Adelaide, Australia
  9. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Apr 13, 2004
    Location:
    New York
    #9
    Get the iMac. They will be faster by May also, so it will be worth it.
     
  10. sk8erboy macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Apr 25, 2005
    #10
    iMAC update :-D
    when is macworld ??
     
  11. javiercr macrumors 6502

    javiercr

    Joined:
    Apr 12, 2005
    Location:
    London
    #11
    the imac is better value, the mini with all the upgrades + a separate tft is gets expensive and it's only a g4.
     
  12. Bloo Ice thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 4, 2005
    Location:
    Kansas
    #12
    The mini is only a G4? I didn't know that. Ok. Thanks for all your input. I'll hold out for an iMac. By May, it might be different then. Thanks
     
  13. sk8erboy macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Apr 25, 2005
    #13

    bumper cars?
     
  14. wdlove macrumors P6

    wdlove

    Joined:
    Oct 20, 2002
    #14
    There is a MacWorld Paris in September. If nothing on the iMac tomorrow then we should be looking for it in September. Then the biggest event of the year MacWorld SF January 2006. Should be more information on Intel partnership if it exists.
     
  15. Apple macrumors 6502

    Apple

    Joined:
    Mar 3, 2005
    Location:
    Charlotte, NC
    #15
    Wait until the next update for the imac or get the mac mini whenever you want
     
  16. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Jan 23, 2005
    #16
    Every Mac is still at "g4" status except for two which use the G5, the PM and iMac.

    But WWDC around the corner and people's rumors, as always, are PowerBook G5 and other stuff.
     

Share This Page