Mini or photo...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by blacktoned, Mar 17, 2005.

1. blacktoned macrumors member

Ok I have been tossing up this in my mind for well over a month now. Here's my musical deal. I have about 1GB of music. It has vastly grown over the past month or so. Discovering alot more new music I never thought I'd listen to before. Metal, punk, etc. One real memory I have is in 6th grade where we watched this showing of Ozzy in music class and I said man I hate that guy. Love his music now, lol. Yea, so my tastes are growing. I probably add about around 10-30 new tracks every few days and whatnot.

Price-wise, I have enough for either. I can get the 30GB photo for $306 shipped from Apple with an educational discount [father is faculty at a school] as well as a promo code that takes $30 off. The 6GB mini would come to about $230-$240.

What do you think I should do? I've seen my cousin's mini in action and can argue I didn't think the sound quality was the best, is the photo clear, good quality? Also, is it more "feely" than the mini? The B/W screen of the mini bored me but I'm thinking I'll get mroe into the expierence with the photo's color screen as well as album art options. [Can someone comment on the screen's quality as well as backlight?]

So really looking for your opinions, thanks alot. :)

2. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

Well if you are seriously asking this question, AND have the money, I think you know which to buy.

If you can afford an iPod photo and like Music, then get it!

Yes, the photo is really clear and everything looks great!

I want one as my next iPod!

3. supafly1703 macrumors regular

iPod photo is the best...

I love my new photo, color interface and pictures make all the difference...

4. mariahlullaby macrumors 6502a

mariahlullaby

I would get the 4GB mini now ($150 with your promos) since you said you only have 1GB of music. It's sleek, it's hip, and it works fine (I have had 3 ipods, including the new mini, and it's excellent). Then, I would save the extra money for whenever a 5G iPod comes out. Hopefully it will have more color capabilities (video?), maybe a redesign, etc. That's what I'm doing!

5. jalagl macrumors 6502a

jalagl

I was in the same dilema myself. I was going to buy a 6GB, but then decided that I would be better served by the 20GB (currently have about 6.5GB of music, but still have MANY CDs to go..). Then, from the 20GB, the 30GB iPod Photo is only $50, so what the hell.

So I got on Amazon and search for iPod Photo. The first hit is the older 40GB version, for $20 more than the 30GB. AND, it includes all these accesories that the 30GB doesn't. So guess what I ended up buying...

Talk about an upsell. I'm expected to get my new 40GB iPod Photo tomorrow :D