Mini Owners Unite

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Sparky8, Mar 31, 2007.

1. Sparky8 macrumors member

Any iPod mini users still out there? I'll have to switch over to the Nano eventually once the battery kicks in (again) as my warranty no longer stands but it's still a lovely device

2. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

It's just called a Nano now. Looks almost the same. :D

3. nsbio macrumors 6502a

nsbio

Long live never die the Mini! I would not trade my 6Gb one for a new Nano!
    And speaking about the battery, I just replaced it on my Mini myself. It is not that hard, although it did take me about 20 minutes. Now my Mini is as good as new except for a few scratches.

4. Top-Slacker macrumors newbie

I have a Mini. 4GB Silver, still works perfectly apart from the battery is nearly dead.. I'll have to get a replacement soon. Waiting for the next gen of iPods to get a new one though. :apple:

5. Tom B. macrumors 65816

Tom B.

Erm, why? The nano is better in every way. Please explain.

6. Frankf300 macrumors regular

Frankf300

I had a 1st generation silver mini 4gb. It got to the point where the battery was only lasting me about 2 hours, 3 at the absolute max. My friend had a barely used white 2gb nano so I gave him the mini with an iTrip and 50 bucks and I took it. I gave up the 2gb of storage (which I now regret everyday lol), but it was so nice to not have to charge it at the end of every day. I loved the Mini, it was my first iPod, but I couldn't resist the color screen and small size of the nano. :D

7. nsbio macrumors 6502a

nsbio

I prefer Mini over Nano because:
    (i) Its size is perfect for me. I played with Nanos at the Apple store and they are too small for me. Plus, the Mini came with a belt clip, which I use to wear the Mini on my shirt pocket while at work. I do not believe that Nanos come with anything like a belt clip, so that one has to keep the Nano loose in your pocket, which I do not want to do. Neither do I want to shop for aftermarket add-ons.

I realize that it is purely my personal preference and many will not agree with me. Oh, and I also do not care about color screen/photos: all I care about is music, podcasts and audiobooks, all of which the Mini does as nicely as the Nano.

(ii) I like the blue and my blue Mini is 6Gb. Blue Nanos are 1/3 less in capacity, which is a downgrade. This is, of course, not a big deal, as I can live with whatever color, but every little bit counts in an argument :).

(iii) The ability to charge and synchronize via Firewire. I use Firewire with my Mini instead of USB to sync with my Powerbook because only Firewire, but not USB, allows me to keep charging even while PB is sleeping. Plus, this frees up a USB port on my PB.

So overall, upgrading to Nano would be in effect a downgrade for me personally. As they say, your results may vary....

8. n-abounds macrumors 6502a

n-abounds

Gold Mini owners unite over here!

Honestly, I'm the only person I've ever seen with a gold one. It's a cool color...it's not really all that gold. I wish they'd bring back that color.

It's 1G (gold never made it to the second gen.). The screen sucks (green + black), it has like 2 hours of battery life, and sometimes will get stuck playing the first 2secs of a song...and won't stop until it's reformatted. ;( Goodbye Mini! Maybe gold will make a comeback someday...

9. Shotgun OS macrumors 6502a

I still like my Mini. I don't use it much, but I did charge it, make a special playlist, and took it to school last week. It's waaayy faster at responding than my 30 gig 5.5 gen.

At one time, I did a super cheap mod to it, and looked like this:
    [​IMG]

10. nsbio macrumors 6502a

nsbio

Just to reiterate, do-it-yourself replacement of a battery in the Mini is not very difficult and several companies sell the batteries for $15-20. If necessary, I can recommend the company I purchased the replacement battery from. Plus, some companies will install a battery for you for a fee.

11. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

The iPod Mini...my first Apple product EVER. My gave it my parnets to use, but I'll take it back once it the battery runs down. Make sure I keep it, after all it was the first thing from Apple I ever owned

12. n-abounds macrumors 6502a

n-abounds

How bout a color screen and a bigger HD? :)

13. nsbio macrumors 6502a

nsbio

Well, a color screen is out of question. For the bigger HD, they sell 8Gb HDs that fit the Mini and replacing the HD is also not extremely difficult, but this would not be cheap. I wonder if the domain something like "pimpmymini.com" is already taken :).

EDIT. The domain name, which I made up on a fly, is taken by a Mac Mini mod site :p

14. Tom B. macrumors 65816

Tom B.

Why put in a 8GB hard drive when you can put in a 16GB Compact Flash card! :eek:

And i know it would be hugely expensive, but there is no reason that this could not work with a 128GB Compact Flash Card! :eek:

Now that is something that would actually make me use a mini again. :)

15. 7031 macrumors 6502

I don't own a Mini, but I have used a Nano, and I now know I would prefer a mini. The nano is too small and it feels weird to hold.

I do hope that :apple: will bring back the mini, though something tells me they won't.

A 16GB or a 128GB CF? What is the world coming to?

Seriously, I can't believe you are being serious lol. That would be really cool though.

Wouldn't replacing the HD leave you without any firmware though?

16. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Well this thread has made me want to test my Mini, so I'm using it to play my music throught my speakers, with backlight now.

Its pretty old, so I'm eager to see the battery life!

17. Shotgun OS macrumors 6502a

My battery life on my Mini isn't bad. The problem I have is the battery icon is out of calibration. I'm really too lazy to calibrate it, but it still does have around 12 hours of battery life.

18. Phobophobia macrumors 6502

I'm using a newly-replaced first generation Blue iPod Mini. They have the lowest battery life of all the iPods ever made. :(

19. yoda13 macrumors 65816

yoda13

I have a silver mini that I still have. Its been a long time since I have used it, but I still have it in the dock on my desk. Though it is not plugged in...:)

20. triobot macrumors member

triobot

Believe me, it works when u have no new firmware you just "restore" from an ipod updater. Then u get the newest firmware n blah blah...

It cheaper than a new nano and the battery lasts much longer with a compact flash over a HDD

21. Chris Bangle macrumors 6502a

I second ure opinions Mini is a million tim,es better then the nano. And still looks better

22. Tom B. macrumors 65816

Tom B.

Bah!!! Anyone who says the mini is better than the nano is a fool!

*Runs into distance and hides behind a car*

23. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68000

Mr_Brightside_@

I still use a 2nd gen blue mini; and would use my green 1st gen if not for the fact that I broke the click wheel when trying to take it apart- if anyone has a spare click wheel, PM me...
    cheers