Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

livingfortoday

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 17, 2004
The Msp
Ok, I upgraded the RAM in my Mini last night, adding a new 512MB chip. I've taken this thing apart a few times now, so I'm fairly comfortable doing it. Anyways, turn it back on, RAM works fine, everything's looking good. Except. There's no sound. System Preferences tells me "No output devices found.", so I can't hear anything. Not even the built-in speaker. I shut it down, checked all the cables, and they're all fine.

Any ideas? What the heck did I do to my Mini!? Also - it's been under a year since I bought this thing, could I bring it in to Apple to see if they can fix it, if no one here has any ideas? I have upgraded the RAM myself, and added new thermal paste to the CPU. But would they see/recognize/care about that?

Anyways. First things first - what have I done, and how do I fix it!?

elisha cuthbert

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2006
Melbourne
livingfortoday said:
Ok, I upgraded the RAM in my Mini last night, adding a new 512MB chip. I've taken this thing apart a few times now, so I'm fairly comfortable doing it. Anyways, turn it back on, RAM works fine, everything's looking good. Except. There's no sound. System Preferences tells me "No output devices found.", so I can't hear anything. Not even the built-in speaker. I shut it down, checked all the cables, and they're all fine.

Any ideas? What the heck did I do to my Mini!? Also - it's been under a year since I bought this thing, could I bring it in to Apple to see if they can fix it, if no one here has any ideas? I have upgraded the RAM myself, and added new thermal paste to the CPU. But would they see/recognize/care about that?

Anyways. First things first - what have I done, and how do I fix it!?
what does it say in System Profiler?

livingfortoday

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 17, 2004
The Msp
elisha cuthbert said:
umm retrace all the cables in the box and make sure they are all plugged firmly again and see if that helps if any are loose

Yeah, I guess I'll shut down and try that again. Maybe the second time's the charm!

livingfortoday

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 17, 2004
The Msp
Uh, ok, second time was in fact the charm. Or something. I hadn't put the lid back on, so I just shut it down, and wiggled all the cables about, everything was still in there tight, booted up and... startup chime. So I have sound now, oddly enough.

Uh... so yeah. I guess my question has been answered! Thanks!

elisha cuthbert

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2006
Melbourne
livingfortoday said:
Uh, ok, second time was in fact the charm. Or something. I hadn't put the lid back on, so I just shut it down, and wiggled all the cables about, everything was still in there tight, booted up and... startup chime. So I have sound now, oddly enough.

Uh... so yeah. I guess my question has been answered! Thanks!
anytime i am glad i could help

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.