Mini-review: Mac Pro (stock)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Demon Hunter, Dec 17, 2006.

1. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

Are you debating between an iMac and a mac pro?

Get the Mac Pro!

I was debating between a number of options. 24" iMac or Mac Pro? Online or in-store? 2.0GHz or stock 2.66GHz? 20" ACD or 23" ACD?

I went with in-store pickup of a stock 2.66GHz Mac Pro with 23" ACD... and I couldn't be happier.

For those concerned about the Cinema Displays... mine has no dead pixels, perfectly even backlighting, and it's absolutely gorgeous! Definitely worth the $899 I paid (student price). I don't care that I'm broke--it looks so beautiful next to the Mac Pro--at least for me, aesthetics matter a lot, and I'd rather be in front of this screen 8 hrs/day than a cheap Dell. As for the 20", it's also a great display--but at the end of the day I wanted "HD"--and the 23" is a good value for only $200 more.

The 2.66GHz is definitely the best value, and I recommend it over the 2.0GHz downgrade. The benchmarks are also in favor of the 2.66GHz, by as much as 15%. I only have 1GB of RAM, but I can upgrade it later. This was more important to me than downgrading to 2.0 GHz and getting more RAM.

The solid aluminum casing never fails to amaze me. It just begs to be touched! The assembly of my Mac Pro was flawless--which is more than I can say for Apple's laptops--and she runs very quiet. My only "problem" is the SuperDrive--it seems to get stuck after the drive opens, so I have to manually close the aluminum door--anyone else have this issue? It probably just needs to be worn in a bit...

I'm a gamer, but I think the 7300 GT is a decent card. I'm waiting for NVIDIA's new lineup before I upgrade. What can I say, I'm a fanboy. The 1900 XT can suck it. :p

The 24" iMac is also amazing (we have one in the office), but I wanted the ability to upgrade my graphics, and 3GB of RAM was too low. As for ordering online, I was going to get Bluetooth, Airport Extreme and another SuperDrive, but I couldn't justify it and instant gratification prevailed.

Also got an iPod Hi-Fi--the Belkin cable at the Apple Store works great. Optical goodness.

Afters years of using laptops, I'm so happy to be in front of a "real" computer again. I hope it lasts me many, many years.

This baby will be doing video-editing, photos, web design, and lots and lots of WoW! :)

Thanks for reading.

2. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

Hey Demon, I'm glad a fellow Minnesotan loves the 2.66 ghz...it's a great machine!

But in regards to the quote I mentioned, you CANNOT think the 7300 GT is a "decent card" if you're a gamer! I know you want to give credit to your newly purchased, very expensive machine, but COME ON! The 7300 blows for real gaming (granted, if all your doing is WoW, which isn't very GPU intensive, that's one thing, but for any other modern FPS, or even RTS, it's horrible).

Also, if you notice the sig, I'm a big gamer too, and am an nVidia fanboi myself...can't wait to see what the new lineup will look like/benchmark! Anyways, thanks for the review! (even if it may be a bit biased re: the 7300 :D )

3. Demon Hunter thread starter macrumors 68020

This is very true, I must admit... :D But yes all I'm really playing is WoW, so it's quite decent for my purposes. :)

4. EGT macrumors 68000

EGT

Well that is good to read. Glad you're enjoying the new beasty.

Sounds like an expensive end to the year though! :eek: :cool:

5. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

congrats, sounds great. :) I couldn't give up BT and AE, myself, but that's one awesome computer.