Mini revision

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by roland.g, May 17, 2006.

1. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

Anyone have any idea, speculation, as to when we might see a revision on the Mac Mini, i.e. a speed bump on the Core Duo to say 1.83 or 2.0? Was there ever a revision on the G4 Mini? I want to get a Mini in June or July and am hoping the release of Conroe & Merom along with the price drops on the chips will prompt Apple to bump the Mini.

2. oliverlubin macrumors regular

agreed. with the release of the cheaper intel chips you'd think that the price would either go down OR that they would get a minimal upgrade. maybe entire line goes Duo?

3. dextertangocci macrumors 68000

I don't think there were any formal revisions, but I think they did later up the RAM to 512MB, as well as a superdrive for the high-end model.

4. talz13 macrumors newbie

I believe they did the 512mb ram upgrade and added a mid level box that had wifi/bluetooth but no superdrive (as a step below the top model that had wifi/bluetooth and superdrive)

http://lowendmac.com/musings/05/0726.html

5. dextertangocci macrumors 68000

I looked on www.apple-history.com and they don't show any revisions, besides of coarse the intel mac mini.

6. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

There was a "secret" revision that Apple never announced to 1.5Ghz and 64Mb of video RAM.

7. Nate4747 macrumors regular

8. talz13 macrumors newbie

Is that just for the intel mini? The only thing I saw for my old mini was removing a couple mini-resistors to boost it up to 1.42ghz from 1.25

9. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Intel only!

10. Nate4747 macrumors regular

Yes but that is risky. You could very easily fry your CPU doing that. I upped my 1.25 to 1.42 and it became very unstable, so I quickly changed it back. Some are capable of reaching 1.58 though, so it just depends on how far you are willing to go. VERY risky though.

11. dextertangocci macrumors 68000

And did that video card support core image or whatever they call it?

12. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

The video chip was identical. It just had more dedicated RAM.

13. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I expect to see a price drop.

$499 (1.5 GHz Core Solo. Combo drive)
    $599 (1.66 Core Duo, Combo drive)
    $699 (1.66 Core Duo, SuperDrive

14. dextertangocci macrumors 68000

I don't know much about video cards, but how does more memory help? What increases performance, a higher memory clock speed, or more memory?

15. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Both. The GPU system is like a miniature PC. The clock speed, like in a full machine, affects the sheer processing power of the GPU, but the RAM determines how much information can be fed to the GPU at a time.

If a game has 200MB of textures, it will run much quicker if it can load all 200MB into the graphics system then if it has to continually stop and stream new information 64 megs at a time.

16. Derekasaurus macrumors member

I'm sure there will be some small bump in specs, but what I would really like to see is a high-end mini with a 2GHz Core Duo, 7200rpm drive option, and a real video accelerator (like the MBP's X1600). This would essentially make it a headless MBP, which is exactly what I would love for my home entertainment center. And with a decent video card and Boot Camp it would also be a great Windows gaming box (not state of the art compared to a huge desktop, but much better than the current 950 chipset). I'd pay a few hundred more for such a beast.