mini-toslink audio hook up

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jamone80, Oct 3, 2006.

1. jamone80 macrumors regular

I was thinking of hooking up my laptop to my surround-sound system via optical/TOSLINK cable. I know they sell mini-to-toslink adapters so i can use the headphone jack on my MB...

Question is, is the sound quality worth it? Does anyone have this set up or sumthing similar? I was wondering if playback on iTunes is better on 5.1 surround sound.

2. devman macrumors 65816

devman

You need a Mac with optical audio out and you'll need 5.1 source material to benefit - such as a DVD played by the DVD Player app.

Once you plug your optical cable in go to the audio prefs and select the 5.1 output (that option only appears when the cable is plugged in).

3. jamone80 thread starter macrumors regular

My MB has the regular mini-jack. Thats why i was thinking about getting Mini-Toslink adapter and just using that. Would that give me that 5.1 option?

4. devman macrumors 65816

devman

Well I don't own a MB so I went and looked it up. Yes it has "Combined optical digital audio output/headphone out (minijack)" according to the tech specs.

So yes, with the right cable you'll get 5.1 if, as I said previously, you have 5.1 source material.

edit: typo.

5. jamone80 thread starter macrumors regular

6. theworstkids macrumors newbie

Would this be a good way to have dance parties and sort of Dj off of your Mac?

7. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

I hooked my computer up via optical to a Logitech z5500 system...Sounded amazing. Played a high def rip of Transformers in 1080p in VLC and surround works! Missiles flying everywhere!:D

8. Cobra2001 macrumors regular

9. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Woah mega bump...

Well the optical is whatever the source sound is and you need an external sound processor. If the source is 5.1 it will transfer 5.1; if it's 7.1...; stereo...; etc.

10. Cobra2001 macrumors regular

Right, I'm just making sure that the mini end of this cable will plug into the headphone jack of the MBP as devman mentioned above. The specs on the MBP say "Combined optical digital audio output/audio line out (minijack)". Thanks!

11. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Yes; in fact I have that cable. ;)

12. Cobra2001 macrumors regular

Awesome, gotta love monoprice:D Thanks for your help!

13. HiFiGuy528 macrumors 68000

HiFiGuy528

I have a McIntosh MX-119 with a high-end DAC inside. How is the sound using the mini-toslink to Hi-Fi?
    [​IMG]

14. valvehead macrumors regular

Considering how noisy the analog circuits are in the MBP (and I assume the MB too), bypassing them is a good idea. Using the DACs in a receiver instead of the ones built-in to the laptop should get rid of all of those annoying clicks and beeps. Streaming 5.1 AC3 and DTS is another added benefit, though I don't know if iTunes is capable of 5.1.

I have a toslink adapter, but I haven't tried it out yet. I'm usually using a RME Fireface 800, so the built-in sound isn't even a factor.