Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Osiris3679

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 25, 2006
I'm looking for the cheapest way to go from windows to mac, is the mini the way to go? All I do is surf, email, and music....what would be the cheapest way to go with a decent speed?

pianoman

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
if you have a monitor, mouse, and keyboard, then yes. if you want an actual all-in-one, you can't go wrong with an iMac or MacBook. they're a few hundred dollars more but they give you everything you need.

why not check out Apple refurbs, eBay or the MR Marketplace?

Texas04

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2005
Texas
I'm looking for the cheapest way to go from windows to mac, is the mini the way to go? All I do is surf, email, and music....what would be the cheapest way to go with a decent speed?

How much music do you have? A standard mini yes is enough, But.. because people don't usually do as many creative things until they buy Macs, you might get into photos and slideshows and other things and the 512MB of ram may get you down just a BIT. It also depends on the computer you are moving from. I would recommend a 1Gb of ram.

I would go for a iMac.

Osiris3679

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 25, 2006
Yeah, if I get a mini I would have to buy a usb keyboard and mouse since mine are not. I have just 5 gigs of music and I have a dinosaur of a pc....266 MHz....insert laughter here :) but I'm very Mac versed, and so tired of windows and this old machine. My plan is use my tax refund for one but I don't want to blow 1500....looking for cheap...a good deal

xfiftyfour

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2006
Clemson, SC
My mom was on a crap pc as well, so for Christmas I bought her an older G4 mini used (1.42GHz) and it's perfect for her. All she does is web browsing, email, a few light games, and now listens to music (not before, but I loaded up her iTunes).

If you're really looking to go cheap, I might go that route. I paid $300 shipped for mine, and that also included a retail copy of iLife 06 which I sold for $40, so the total cost was only $260. Not bad - and it's pretty speedy for what she uses it for (which is the same as what you'll use it for).

If you want something a bit faster than that, check out eBay or the marketplace for a used mini core solo - that should be cheaper as well.

dllavaneras

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2005
Caracas, Venezuela
If you don't have the monitor/keyboard/mouse, then the iMac is probably the way to go, unless you find a really cheap monitor and a cheap mini. Personally I'd go with the iMac

timswim78

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2006
Baltimore, MD
Mini's are OK. However, my opinion is that their laptop hdd's are painfully slow. Also, the PowerPC ones only have one RAM slot, and the Intel ones have RAM slots that are quite difficult to access. On top of this the Intel ones use an integrated video chipset which uses up a portion of the system memory.

I might suggest something different. If you don't mind having a PowerPC chip, you can scour Craigslist, ebay, and etc. for a good deal on a PowerMac G4. For example, I got a dual 1.25GHZ PowerMac with 768MB of RAM on Craigslist for $360. This was much more powerful than a comparably priced Mini, it had a better video card, and a faster hdd. More importantly, it was easy to upgrade the RAM, HDD, Video Card, and optical drive.

xfiftyfour

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2006
Clemson, SC
Wow....$300...not bad, did you go through ebay?

Nope, I put out a WTB in both MR's marketplace and over at MacNN - there were several offers in that price range.

The mini I got came like new, with the original box and manuals - even the original plastics on all the accessories and the mini itself.

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
Yeah, if I get a mini I would have to buy a usb keyboard and mouse since mine are not. I have just 5 gigs of music and I have a dinosaur of a pc....266 MHz....insert laughter here :) but I'm very Mac versed, and so tired of windows and this old machine. My plan is use my tax refund for one but I don't want to blow 1500....looking for cheap...a good deal

Perhaps you should consider the 2GHz Core 2 Duo based 17" iMac Osiris3679. :)

thumb

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2005
The mini really is great.

my Core Duo mini is the fastest computer i have for the types of apps you are talking about (faster than 2 powerbooks and one g5 powermac). the intel proc make a big difference. there is nothing painfully slow about it.

that said, when you figure the price out, make sure you add RAM(not through apple) and monitor keyboard mouse as well. it often does not end up the cheapest.

i would think a macbook might serve you best, i love laptops.

vanzskater272

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2006

The mac mini is probably the best for you. Since you are going to be switching from a windows computer you might allready have a display, keyboard and mouse.

fireball jones

macrumors member
May 31, 2006
Mini's are OK. However, my opinion is that their laptop hdd's are painfully slow. Also, the PowerPC ones only have one RAM slot, and the Intel ones have RAM slots that are quite difficult to access. On top of this the Intel ones use an integrated video chipset which uses up a portion of the system memory.

They're as painfully slow as... a laptop ;)

1GB of RAM and my G4 mini runs dandy. I'd be keeping it for even longer if I had gotten airport for it when I bought it.

acoustics940

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2006
Well since I actually read your post. I think you would be fine with a mac mini even if you need a keyboard and mouse. By the looks of it you dont need anything crazy I wouldnt buy something you dont need.

iW00t

macrumors 68040
Nov 7, 2006
Defenders of Apple Guild
Mini is the way to go. I'd wait a bit if I were you though, at least I am also in the market for one and I am waiting too :D

The buyer's guide indicates an update in as little as 20 days.

Teh Don Ditty

macrumors G4
Jan 15, 2007
Maryland
I agree with a lot of the posters here. If you already have the keyboard/mouse/monitor then the mini will do fine. I do suggest upping the ram from the stock 512. I went from 512MB to 2GB (maxed)... wow that's all I have to say. Also, if you need it now then get it now. If you can wait, I would wait because updates are right around the corner. Best of luck to you!

- The Don Ditty (aka Mike)

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
as much as i love the mini, i'd shell out the couple extra for an imac. i'm sure you could find decent prices for one on ebay.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.