Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jimmyohio75

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 11, 2012
Akron, Ohio
HI all, I am a newbie here and I am the proud owner of an Ipad Mini. This is my first Ipad of any kind and I never bought into the hype of the Retina Display. That is until I went to Best Buy yesterday and compared the Ipad Mini to the Ipad 4 sitting next to it. There is definitely a visible clarity difference between the retina display and the "non" retina display of the Ipad Mini. I have been using my Mini for reading quite a bit and now I am hoping and praying that Apple will release the Ipad Mini 2 with Retina Display. Apple would be crazy not to do this as soon as possible and I'm sure it is in the works. Does anyone have any inside scoop that they can share regarding this? I will be the first to preorder an Ipad Mini with Retina. Thanks.:D

mankar4

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2007
USA
HI all, I am a newbie here and I am the proud owner of an Ipad Mini. This is my first Ipad of any kind and I never bought into the hype of the Retina Display. That is until I went to Best Buy yesterday and compared the Ipad Mini to the Ipad 4 sitting next to it. There is definitely a visible clarity difference between the retina display and the "non" retina display of the Ipad Mini. I have been using my Mini for reading quite a bit and now I am hoping and praying that Apple will release the Ipad Mini 2 with Retina Display. Apple would be crazy not to do this as soon as possible and I'm sure it is in the works. Does anyone have any inside scoop that they can share regarding this? I will be the first to preorder an Ipad Mini with Retina. Thanks.:D

Welcome to the forums!

I am also waiting for an ipad mini retina.

According to the most recent rumors, ipad mini 2 will have retina:
https://www.macrumors.com/2012/12/1...-mid-2013-with-nfc-128-gb-storage-6-8-colors/

However, some previous comments suggested IPM wouldn't get it till 2014:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/6429/ipad-mini-review/5

I personally would be surprised if there was no retina mini next year given the Nexus 7 and Kindle HD's have retina at similar prices and sizes, but I am also totally uniformed.

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009
Welcome to the forums!

I am also waiting for an ipad mini retina.

According to the most recent rumors, ipad mini 2 will have retina:
https://www.macrumors.com/2012/12/1...-mid-2013-with-nfc-128-gb-storage-6-8-colors/

However, some previous comments suggested IPM wouldn't get it till 2014:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/6429/ipad-mini-review/5

I personally would be surprised if there was no retina mini next year given the Nexus 7 and Kindle HD's have retina at similar prices and sizes, but I am also totally uniformed.

Kindle Fire HD and Nexus 7 don't have anything close to a 'Retina display'.

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009
We could see one as early as March 2013 (the usual month when a new iPad is launched) but is very well possible we won't see a new iPad until September/October 2013.

I definitely think Apple will put a Retina display in their next iPad mini, but no one can be certain and Apple is quite unpredictable.

Until than, enjoy your iPad mini because even without Retina display it's still a lovely device! :)

jimmyohio75

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 11, 2012
Akron, Ohio
We could see one as early as March 2013 (the usual month when a new iPad is launched) but is very well possible we won't see a new iPad until September/October 2013.

I definitely think Apple will put a Retina display in their next iPad mini, but no one can be certain and Apple is quite unpredictable.

Until than, enjoy your iPad mini because even without Retina display it's still a lovely device! :)

Agreed! I love it!!

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
There is a rumor that the next iPad Mini will be available in Spring. It is a rumor only. Even if the rumor is true (and I doubt it is), that doesn't necessarily mean it will be retina either. It might just be a speed/camera/memory bump.

Spring seems way too fast so I didn't read much into it, but former Apple CEO John Scully is implying that Apple is moving toward a 6-month release cycle. I didn't take much stock into that either, until I read his reasoning. It's actually pretty damn sound, assuming Apple can pull it off.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
and it may not even be retina. Honestly, it just needs a better screen....retina or not. I'm sure if it is too expensive to go full retina they will do something in the middle to get the early adopters to upgrade.

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
and it may not even be retina. Honestly, it just needs a better screen....retina or not. I'm sure if it is too expensive to go full retina they will do something in the middle to get the early adopters to upgrade.

It will be retina 2048x1536. Anything else will just give developers the headache of a 6th screen resolution to cater for.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
It will be retina 2048x1536. Anything else will just give developers the headache of a 6th screen resolution to cater for.

Are you sure about that? Is anything specifically made for the mini or does it have the same resolution as the ipad 2?

GreatDrok

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2006
New Zealand
Don't compare in portrait mode because the page is rendered 1024 wide and then scaled to 768 wide on the mini. Such scaling on a retina display will look better due to the higher resolution. Run the mini in landscape and there is no scaling and so fonts are rendered correctly and look fine. I'm typing this on my mini now and fonts look excellent. The mini is always going to be a compromise because retina displays take more power to run so that doesn't fit with the reason for the mini to exist. If you want retina the full size iPad is the way to go. For me, the display is excellent and everything works as per the iPad 2. Comparing the mini with the nexus 7 we have in the office shows the mini has a much better screen too.

LightOnAHill

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2010
I'm glad the first mini has the regular ipad resolution so it's comparable with all the ipad programs out there. the new retina display on the bigger one will give developers the reason to make programs comparable with it but that will take some time.

by when it comes out ill upgrade and give this one to a lawyer buddy of mine

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.