Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by D4F, May 6, 2008.

1. D4F

Sep 18, 2007
    Planet Earth
    I know this is a 'out of space' question but what are your predictions on refreshed Mini?
    I need redering nodes and was thinking to buy 4-6 minis as they would be perfect in size/price to performace ratio for what I do.

I just wonder if buying them now wont be a mistake as the refreshed ones will surely be more powerful.

No alternatives here btw. It has to be a Mac running platform.
  2. macrumors 6502a

Aug 15, 2007
    Your guess is probably just as good as anyone else's in here. I know one thing is for sure though, when they are about to come out you'll see leaked news about 1 week or so prior if that means anything to you.
  3. macrumors 604

Dec 31, 2004
    "No escape from Reality..."
    This is like the 5th or 6th thread on this...
  4. macrumors regular

Apr 30, 2008
    I don't predict a major upgrade, althought I give SOME credence to the rumors of a form-factor redesign. All aluminum and gloss black would look great, imo.

As for specs I am predicting Penryn starting at 2.1 Ghz, Santa Rosa, Intel X3100 integrated graphics, 160 GB HD, 1 GB ram...and they better include a Superdrive in the base model!

I expect there will be a high end model at 2.4 Ghz, 250 GB HD, 2 GB ram.

I'd LOVE but don't expect to see Blu-Ray playback(perhaps BTO? - I know I'm still dreaming), and BTO standalone graphics (Apple sure loves those Radeon 2600's!).
  5. macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Aug 13, 2006
    1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
    You could get one Mac Pro for that price and have far more power.

Unless you're a schoolteacher and would like them for your classroom or something.
  6. D4F
    thread starter Guest

Sep 18, 2007
    Planet Earth
    Not exactly.
    On a pro I'll have a single system using 8 cores.
    With 6 minis I will have 12 cores plus lot's of GHz.
    It's a render node setup.
    A system that distributes rendering to several machines and makes your work a lot faster. It uses both cores of all the minis, uses their memory and since GPU is not important then overall is a better solution as both come similar in price.
    Not sure what i'll do with all of them after I move to something else lol but this is a good and pretty cheap 'micro' render farm setup :)
  7. macrumors 6502a

Mar 26, 2008
    I like your specs but I think anodized black aluminum might be sweet. I don't plan to upgrade my mini any time soon but would love to see it live on.
  8. macrumors 6502

Jun 9, 2006
    Redlands, CA
    If you want to play a silly GHz game: 12cores @2.0GHz = 24GHz 8cores @3.0 = 24GHz

Plus the Mac Pro uses processors that are 2 generations ahead of the mini, which makes them faster even at the same clock speed. Faster memory, much faster HDDs, faster FSB, faster ... everything.

The minis don't come with a keyboard or mouse so add a bit for that. Nor do any of them come with a monitor.

Buy one or two Mac Pros, load 'em up with 3rd party RAM and HDDs and a couple monitors. Done.

If you really want to get the most bang for your buck, buy 2 refurb Mac Pros @ $2,400 each =$4,800. Six new minis also cost $4,800 (no refurbs at the moment). 16 cores @ 2.8GHz = 44.8GHz