Minidisplay port to HDMI Audio Mac-Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Kumi, May 18, 2011.

1. macrumors newbie

Feb 4, 2010
    Hi there, I think i have a Mid-2010 Mac pro (bought yday, should have waited but i couldn't lol) I've connected it to my Tv through a minidisplay port to HDMI, Now the picture works (but am only getting 1050 instead of 1080p) when i choose on the settings 1080p or 'i' then the colour is very funny and does not look right.

Also I am not getting any audio through the TV, however when i go to system Pref>sound>sound effect, and i click on a alert sound, then i can hear that clearly, but when i try and use the buttons on my keyboard to increase/decrease then volume then that is greyed out.

One last thing, when i go to Sound>Output, it says "the selected device has no output controls".

I really need to figure this out, Thank you for all your help!
  2. macrumors 601

Sep 21, 2010
    Too many times I have seen this (OS X + HDMI + TV = problems). Hook it up to a monitor and you are probably fine. There are so many things that can go wrong you'll just have to troubleshoot and try different things. With HDMI, even the order that you power on components can make a difference between working and not. Some things to try:

Try a different HDMI cable. Ensure connections are good.

If you are going through a switcher or an AV receiver, try a direct connection from the Mac to the TV.

Try powering on the TV before the Mac. Or, try the opposite.

Try switchresx software to solve your resolution problem.

Try begging someone to make you a custom EDID.

As for the sound, I don't know why you don't hear anything. However, it's normal for computer volume controls to be disabled when using digital audio. Use the volume controls on the device with the amplifier (the TV).

If all else fails or you get tired of working with HDMI, try using DVI for video and optical for audio.