minidv -> dvd

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by expergo, Jan 2, 2005.

1. expergo macrumors regular

hey,

what's the fastest way to capture from minidv and write onto dvd? i want the best quality...so it'll be one minidv tape per dvd.

i know on pc...ther's a program that does it automatically.. (ie. it captures and burns if i push a button)...but i don't know if mac has any type of software that does that.

if there's a program that captures dv tapes into a single file or as a file with chapter markers in it that i can just import into toast, that'd be great. right now, i just use imovie to capture and it splits up the video into clips which is good...but hten i have to export it as a big mov file...so i need like 26gb in total to do what i need to do and ti take sa long time to capture...encode...then burn and i have to be there to do it all.

any help or input is nice...thankss. . =)

2. Sir_Giggles macrumors 6502a

Sir_Giggles

You can do it in Toast 6 Titanium.

iDVD 5 is suppose to streamline the process so you could capture DV and burn a DVD in one step.

3. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

In all cases you'll need to encode the DV stream.
    DV is still much higher quality than DVD is.

iDVD will do it the easy way for you.

Toast will also work, but you still have to import the DV stream, Toast will encode it for you.

4. expergo thread starter macrumors regular

does idvd do it without the menu's and all the other fancy stuff? i just want to play the file on my dvd player.

are there any good captuer programs taht would capture it into one big file?

last question. . :)

for toast...if i import a dv video...it'll encode it to mpeg2 so does that mean i need like 4.6gb free for it ot make an new video?

5. Sir_Giggles macrumors 6502a

Sir_Giggles

For that, you'll need DVD Studio Pro. Easiest would probably be to capture in iMovie, do some light editing and titles, then export to iDVD and burn from there.

6. jimsowden macrumors 68000

jimsowden

It can, just go to the map and delete them. There is nothing for exactly what you want to do now.

7. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Import your video into iMovie, edit it there, save it as a QuickTime movie, then burn it to DVD in iDVD. If you have a Mac and a miniDV camera with an recorded movie, then you have everything that you need. If you don't know where to go from there, then refer to the Help files in iMovie and iDVD.

8. expergo thread starter macrumors regular

thanks for your help guys...stil have a few more questions.

jimsowden,

you said i could just delete the items in map...but what i mean is i want to delete the entire theme and just have the video play automatically when inserted into a dvdplayer.

i thought that when i share the movie to idvd from imovie, that it would preserve the clip markers...but it doesn't unless i'm mistaken. like when i record from my minidv camcorder, imovie will start a new clip for each scene (ie. each time i pushed puase/record on the camcorder). so then i have like 150 clips in imovie...but when i share that to idvd, i want to preseve those separations and thought that they would end up as chapters...but it doesn't. it's just one big 60min movie...which is what i don't want since its' hard to go to different spots quickly.

9. jimsowden macrumors 68000

jimsowden

I hear if you open a new idvd project, ad the .mov, then delete the theme thats how it works. Don't quote me.