MiniDVI Adapter - VGA or DVI?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by donaldGuy, May 25, 2006.

1. donaldGuy macrumors newbie

I am going to buy a MacBook (black) very soon (my first Mac :) ) and I was wondering what the opinion was on the external Adapter..

My (Linux) desktop setup has two monitors and I've gotten used to it, so the fact that you can drive another screen with the MacBook (not to mention the ability to use one screen with the MacBook closed, with USB HI devices) has made it worth the $17 (educational discount) for the adapter. The question therefore becomes which interface should I get.

The argument for VGA:
    All the monitors I have are VGA based.

The argument for DVI:
    I might at some point get one of the amazing apple cinema displays,
    I can use the DVI to drive my family’s HDTV's DVI-in (I don't know how the resolution will be but with Front Row and the remote it seems like something I might want to do at some point),
    I have a DVI->VGA adapter (though it’s in use) (and I can get another for ~$4-15)

I realize ultimately just a decision I have to make, but if it were you (or if it already was) which would you favor, convenience (VGA) or versatility (DVI)?

~Donald Guy
    Soon-to-be-switcher (sort of)

2. h0e0h macrumors 6502a

h0e0h

depending on the TV, since its HD it will either be 1260x720, 1360x768, 1366x768, or 1920x1080. MiniDVI-DVI would be a good choice since its a pure digital connection and when you get a new monitor eventually it will have DVI or HDMI, which can be converted by another adapter ~$25.