Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TyleRomeo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 22, 2002
New York
I'm really interested in buying a 2 drive miniG FW800 enclosure for my powermac G4. I have two 400GB seagate 7200.8 drives that I want to use with this enclosure. The only thing stopping me from buying the miniG is that their site says that they don't support Seagate drives becuase they are too hot compared to other hard drives.

Does anyone have a miniG with Seagates inside? I know the power supply is outside and it only has a small fan inside, I don't mind if the fan works harder or I'll even replace the fan with a better one if i have to. i just want this enclosure bad but can only have it with seagate drives since that's all I buy.

TyleRomeo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 22, 2002
New York
alright well then does anyone have any links or info on 2 drive ATA firewire 800 enclosures that resemble the G5 as good as the miniG? I know OWC sells one for $120 that looks pretty good but I'm looking a spot on match and am willing to pay a little extra for that.

kittiyut

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2007
I have the Mini G 2 drive eSATA. No fan inside but I have no heat problems with my 2 Seagate drives (the original 320 that came with my MP and another 1TB ES2 drive). One word of caution, the edges are sharp, be careful when assembling as it might cut the small front LED wires!! The only problem is that you'll need to get a separate external connector for the ODD. Also, it is not "hot swappable" :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.