Minimum Post Count For Community Discussion/Political Forum?

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by adk, Jul 16, 2006.

1. adk macrumors 68000

adk

Maybe this is just a rant, but I am bothered by the number of people who make their first posts in the Community Discussion and Politics, Religion, Social Issues Forums. I always thought this was a forum about macs, since all of the mac stuff is at the top and Community Discussion is at the bottom. It also seems that most of the Muckrakers in the Politics, Religion, Social Issues forum are newbies just trying to get a rise out of people for fun. Has anyone else considered whether or not it would be helpful to this forum to put a minimum post count on the community discussion forum?

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

There is a minimum post count for Politics et al... I think it's 100.

3. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

Yup yup

4. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

should this apply to the community forum as a whole though?

perhaps. perhaps not. i'm divided on this right now.

5. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

adk's point is still valid for the main Community Discussion forum. Sometimes it's puzzling why somebody registers for MacRumors and posts only on non-Mac topics, but why let it bother you?

It's not always a mystery. Here are some reasons that we have members who don't "talk Mac":

1. Some members read the news threads but don't feel qualified or opinionated enough to post there.

2. Some members find the Community Discussion threads to be friendlier and easier while they are getting their feet wet using the forums.

3. Some members sign up because they know people who are already members.

4. Some members sign up because they found a particular thread using a search engine and want to join that particular discussion.

6. Salasm macrumors regular

Salasm

Perhaps only macrumors 604 members should be allowed to post in Community Discussions. That would reduce the amount of chat posts many have to trudge through. But alas, we still have a certain mad jew to deal with. ;)

7. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

There is a 100 post minimum in the Political etc forum, but many of the threads there starts out as Community threads, without any posting restrictions... so newbies have a window to participate before the mods/gods move the thread...

8. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Our intent (which we're admittedly not perfect at observing) is to close or Wasteland those threads because the original poster didn't qualify to start the thread. Sometimes we make exceptions, such as for current events.

9. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Ah, but I was (mostly) referring to newbie responses to threads, not threads started by newbies (I've not seen too many of these kinds of threads started by newbies, probably because they are deleted/wastelanded before I notice them ;)).

And some threads take a (little) while before getting "political"...

10. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Let's just stop everyone with under a hundred posts being able to post anywhere... :rolleyes:

11. calculus Guest

calculus

That would certainly cut out all of the rubbish.

12. Salasm macrumors regular

Salasm

That is a very good idea, Applespider. New users should not be allowed to post in any forum until they reach 100 posts. That will get rid of the trolls and spammers, yet keep the signal-noise ratio very high.

13. Felldownthewell macrumors 65816

Felldownthewell

This is just like when my parents tell my sister she can't date until after she's married...

14. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Remember that any member who is unable to register for MacRumors should ask for help by posting in the Site and Forum Feedback forum. ;) :D

15. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

You forgot the best part. Your post count doesn't go up when you post there. Why do you think mad jew stays out. :p Sorry, had to bandwagon on the 604s.

If they did count, I wonder what my ranking would be... seems like I've been stuck at 68040 forever.

16. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

Reminds me of the high school editorial I wrote advocating mandatory retroactive abortion.

I'm going to bet that either people are truly opinionated and want to express themselves, and/or that people find it easier to post often in the political threads because you can more easily post and refine an opinion there than in the other advice and help threads. When you are giving advice, you want to make sure you first suggestion is the best you can offer, whereas in the more open topic threads, you can offer up an opinion and refine it as the discussion merits.

17. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Nah, it's all those people who use nouns as verbs that keep me away from the ol' political forums. :p

Kidding mate. :D

Some of the most interesting threads I've read have been started by relative newbies, no doubt under the 100 post limit. If we take away newbies' rights to start threads (or even post in) the community section, I think we'll be losing a lot of potentially good members and possibly encourage even more useless posts in the news sections.

18. celebrian23 macrumors 65816

celebrian23

let's make mac users seem even more pretentious!

19. baleensavage macrumors 6502a

A lot of forums limit the "unrelated" topics that you cant post in until you reach a certain number of posts. Most of the time they wont even show up on the list unless you have a certain number of posts. I think this is a good idea, it helps reduce trolling and changing a forum's topic. Of course, I myself am not too high on my post count...

Restricting all topics to people with over 100 posts seems a little drastic to me ;) since no one could ever get to 100 posts if they can't post...

20. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Surely 50 or so posts would be OK for the political forums? Is anyone really going to post 50 times just so they can say some racist comment or other trolling in the political forums? Especially as they will get banned after one post?

21. Salasm macrumors regular

Salasm

Sure they can since they already have over 100 posts. It's the under-100 crowd we want to restrict from all the forums.

22. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I would just assume get rid of the political forums all together, nothing good ever comes from down there. Its kinda like that creepy uncle that your parents never tell you to talk to.:p

23. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

There are people with over 500 posts that seem to be trolling around and stirring up trouble too with useless posts and threads, As this forum grows its just going to be more of a problem and we will just have to deal with it.

24. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

Some people want to spam to get a higher post count! I mean I would love to be a 604, but spamming is out of the question for me.

25. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Just let us know when you spot such things. Our cleanup crews are always walking around with their brooms and dustpans.