Minimum Post Count To Send PM's?

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by lexus, Jan 8, 2007.

1. lexus macrumors 68000

lexus

I know you can just disable PM's but I use them alot here on the board. My issue is that today I got a PM from someone who just registered advertising a product. I think there should be a minimum post count before you can send PM's.

Thanks for listening,

2. R.Youden macrumors 68020

R.Youden

True, but isnt there a danger of new members feeling alienated?

3. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I think a 1 or 2 post minimum would work as the normal user is going to post a question before PM'ing someone first.

4. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

I don't think it would alienate newer members if say the minimum were pretty low, say 5 posts before you could PM. That said, if someone had a problem that was easier to deal with via PM's...I guess it would be frustrating to have to get through those first 5.

5. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

I could see a user who has lurked for sometime without registering/posting wanting to register in order to PM someone in response to a post they saw...this would obviously inhibit that.

lexus, I hope you reported that person to a mod. Have they been banned?

6. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

You can limit PMs to those on your Buddy List by checking the appropriate box under Edit Options in your User CP, too.

7. lexus thread starter macrumors 68000

lexus

No, I did not have the time, who should I report them to?

8. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

any MOD

9. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Just forward the PM and your comments to any mod on duty. At a quick glance, jsw seems to be on right now.

10. marioman38 macrumors 6502a

marioman38

I didn't even know this site had Pm's as an option untill my 40+ post...

11. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I've read that spammers who used to join forums to post their spam (and be quickly banned) have yet another tactic: joining forums and sending junk PMs to as many people as possible. We haven't had many reports about this, at least so far, but we know it's a possibility. A minimum time between sending private messages prevents instant mass mailing of PMs, but it will certainly be an annoyance for all of us if unwanted junk PMs become a regular problem. Adding a minimum post count required for PMing could help a bit.

If you encounter this problem, or get any other type of unwanted PM, let us know. Tell us who sent you what by PM so we can take the appropriate action.

Rather that pick a particular moderator, it's best to use the Report Post system (that icon next to each post) to send us a message. It goes to the moderator "on duty" and works better than trying to tell or guess who's online at a given moment. You can't always tell.

12. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Yeah, using the "Report Post" is the best solution. That being said, if you want an easy way to know which Mods are currently online you can always just check out this link. :cool:

13. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

On a forum I'm an admin on, we had problems with new users signing up just to ask others via PM for (illegal) MP3s (it's a music related site). So, we found and installed a modification for vB that requires you to have at least 25 posts to send a PM to anyone besides an admin or mod (this still allows them to PM us should they have any legit questions, and if they PM us asking for MP3s, then they're dumber than we thought :D), but until 25 posts, no one besides us.

MR could implement something like this to allow newbies to still PM staff in case they have any questions or whatever.

14. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Or that could be something that the nano mod could handle.

15. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Unless I'm missing something, there is no Report Post system associated with PMs. That's why I suggested that lexus PM jsw. Am I wrong?

16. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

There is no report system associated with PMs, but you can report any forum post at all, just as a way to contact the moderator on duty about anything. As long as you explain the problem, we'll understand that it's not associated with that particular post. It's the same solution as when you want to report a general problem about a thread, not a particular post. You have to pick some post when you click the Report Post icon, but your report to us can explain what it's really about.

You can also use the Contact Us link at the bottom of every page to send us a message that's not about a particular post, but those aren't handled as promptly, so the Report Post system is the most practical method for most problems that members want to report.

17. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

18. gothiquegirrl macrumors regular

gothiquegirrl

min post requirements...

To be honest.. this is a suject near and dear to my heart.
    I am , afterall, a reader and NOT a writer. I don't post unless something has really got my "panties in a knot" ( a pink and silky knot :p ). I can't tell you why i don't post... I just DON'T. I read.. I am here hours everyday... but I think in the time I have been a member I've only posted like maybe 4 times... And I lurked for years before i actually joined. I am sure there are a lot of people like me. Isn't it bad enough I'll NEVER have an Avatar on this forum until i'm in my 80's or 90's if at all? I mean I'm 27... and I MIGHT average about 1-4 posts a year... and with a 500 post requirement.. Well, you get my point. So basically IMO I think the fewer posting requirements the better. If you have to have them... please make them a very LOW number!

thanks for reading,

Ang

19. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Don't sell yourself short...you've got 16 posts in the month since you signed up. At your current rate, you'll have an avatar in late 2009. :D

20. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Permit PMs only from buddies; it works for me. Got sick and tired of hostile losers and strangers invading my head-space and cluttering up my inbox...

If your name's not down, you're not coming in.