minimum realistic system for iChat AV

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by atomiton, Oct 4, 2005.

1. atomiton macrumors regular

Hey there, I wanna v-chat with my fiancée in Japan... she doesn't "yet" have a mac... so it will be via AOL for now, but I was wondering, I have a Pmac G4 400Mhz Gigabit with 1GB of RAM. Will this run iChat AV?

Before I spend the $ to upgrade to Tiger and buy an iSight, I wanna know if it's worth it.

I will be getting her (us) a 12" iBook so her side "shouldn't" be a problem, right?

I"m not trying to do 3-way video... just 1 on 1 for now.

Has anyone does this? Will the PMac handle the H.264 iChat AV uses?

Thanx!

2. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Patmian212

3. atomiton thread starter macrumors regular

so I should stick to panther then? or will tiger's iChat scale it for me?

4. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Patmian212

I dont know much about the subject or what you should do,all I know is H.246 needs atleast a 1.2GHZ G4.

5. kewpid macrumors regular

Not really...

According to the iChat page, any G4 Mac will be able to handle a 1-to-1 video. Remember that h.264 is a scalable codec. Only HD h.264 video requires a powerful Mac.

6. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

I have nothing to add, but I did read the other thread. Congrats on the engagement!

7. atomiton thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks!! Now the planning starts! Co-Ordinating these things between two families from three continents will be difficult.

I really hope that I can get the iSight using decent quality video. We will see. I was hoping to see if anyone had actually used it with a G4.

8. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

I would stick with Panther if I were you. I found that with my old G4 PowerBook, the quality was much better with panther. Your computer should run that version of iChat just fine for a video conference.

9. atomiton thread starter macrumors regular

And no problem interfacing with the Tiger iChat AV Version? What's frame rate like, too?