Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CtotheP

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 15, 2011
Silicon Valley
Across ALL lines of iPod/iPad/iPhones. With all media being digital these days, I don't understand the 16gb still being standard. They need to start upping it.

CtotheP

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 15, 2011
Silicon Valley
Exactly, 32gb should be where the base 16gb was. Too many things to store these days, not enough space. I'd love a Nano that was 128gb...it would be perfect!!!

kaydot

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2011
Exactly, 32gb should be where the base 16gb was. Too many things to store these days, not enough space. I'd love a Nano that was 128gb...it would be perfect!!!

I came to this conclusion, too. The Nano with 128gb would be amazing. They could replace the classic with the Nano, make it a purely music device. I've been waiting for a 128gb touch, but I don't need all the extra bells and whistles that come with that device (camera, for instance). I have a smartphone for that.

So in conclusion: HIGH CAPACITY NANOs, Please!

TomCat

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2000
I am seriously reconsidering taking my entire CD collection (most of my library is CDs purchased before 2003) and starting a new iTunes library using Apple Lossless. That would probably imply at least a 32 GB Touch, maybe 64.

That's a reasonable goal. But 128 GB nanos? Don't hold your breath; they are 5 years away at best.

LucasLee

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2012
Limited capacity devices is the way to go. Having large capacity, people will get too attached to their files and upgrade less often, which means less profit. Low capacity, is easy for people to move from one device to another and cost less to make.

Even andriod is abandoning their sd cards so people would not get attached to their current models.

Is like living space, you live in a small apartment with little stuff it's easy to move out, you live a big house, you'be put effort into organizing your garden, you've install heavy furniture and you've horde a ton of possessions, it is much harder to move again.

For me, I make use the cloud, I have 6x 2-3TB drives delivering media files whenever I want using air video, streamtome and audiogalaxy using unlimited 4G connection. My device hold 90% Apps.

kylera

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2010
Seoul
I think with the existence of Smart Playlists, the emphasis on space has dropped. Since you can set space limits, you can fine-tune your listening experience.

iLLUMI

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2012
A 64GB shuffle - outstanding!

If only.....:p

And of course the obligatory ... 128GB Shuffle. :p

But seriously, this question has been brought up time and time again all over the web and the usual response is "cloud storage" i.e. iCloud. Well that's from an Apple perspective and not us consumers. The majority of us see it differently of course.

Thus I also believe the storage standard for iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad should be bumped up. I mean wifi isn't always accessible in order to access iCloud so you'd really want to have your music and movies with you. It's a long flight from New York to Sydney ;) so having a good selection of TV shows, movies, podcasts and music for yourself and/or the family wouldn't be much of an issue with 128GB storage. Not to mention that you might also be shooting videos, taking photos and have large apps such as games which will take up a fair bit of storage also.

The iPod Classic has 160GB. So why cant the iPod Touch/iPhone have a mere 128GB!
Both are music etc storage devices. In fact the iPod Classic has increased its storage capacity of the years. You dont see Apple pushing iCloud for that.
If anything, the iPod Touch/iPhone/iPad should be the devices getting the bigger storage because they do more and store more data.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
Across ALL lines of iPod/iPad/iPhones. With all media being digital these days, I don't understand the 16gb still being standard. They need to start upping it.

Apple did the calculations to determine where they can get the most return for now and for the future and determined that the 16/32/64 works best for Apple. If people stop purchasing, they will change.

----------

So why cant the iPod Touch/iPhone have a mere 128GB!

Technically, they can but it seems that Apple believes it will reduce future sales. Apple is a business and what is good for them is often not good for us.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.