Minimum Wage Increase to $9 Per Hour

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Squilly, Feb 12, 2013.

1. macrumors 68020

Squilly

As a minimum wage worker in college, I'd love to see minimum wage increased $1.75 (currently @ $7.25). CEO's might be mad and might not stimulate the economy. Greedy CEO's (not mentioning any names here *Papa Johns* ) would hate it and may raise prices. What do you think? You think it'll get passed?
    Source

2. macrumors 68000

IBradMac

3. macrumors P6

dukebound85

Let's have non-misleading thread titles. Thanks

4. macrumors 68020

Change the name of "minimum wage" to "livable wage" and increase it all the way to at least $14.50.

5. macrumors 6502a

whoknows87

Some argue that with increasing minimum wage, the cost of living goes up, showed up on my newsfeed on FB LOL, seriously isn't it common sense that if the cost of living is already high shouldn't the minimum wage go up as well ? if minimum wage lets say is $7.25 in 2009 , now it's 2013 and still the same rate meaning you are deeper in the hole

6. macrumors G4

Chundles

7. macrumors 601

GermanyChris

If you think that's low, just ask a server or any tipped employee what their hourly wage is..

In America this is how we feel better about ourselves we can go into a store or restaurant and know we make more money the modern day servants. Yet out of the other side of our mouth complain that people who work in stores don't know anything about the product and can't make any decisions like they used to :rolleyes:

When you could sell things in a store and support yourself and a small family.

8. macrumors G3

roadbloc

I'm on £4.98 an hour and I'd love to see my wage increased. But in these tough economic times, probably not going to happen. Keep dreaming. :)

9. macrumors 68000

Happybunny

The low wages in the service industry in the US, is one of the reasons I find it no problem with tipping.

10. macrumors 65816

SwiftLives

I've always thought politicians should be paid minimum wage. That way it would definitely be a livable wage...

...or only super wealthy thrust-fund babies would grow up to be politicians.

11. ugahairydawgs, Feb 13, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2013

macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

I certainly love the idea of everyone being paid more, but a federally prescribed minimum wage increase is not going to solve any major problems.

Bottom lines are what they are and businesses are going to do what it takes to make it there, so if the minimum wage goes up businesses that utilize that type of labor force will just figure out a way to get by with fewer employees.

12. Guest

eric/

13. macrumors 6502

And the dollar menu at McD's will be gone and your Jimmy Johns's will go up to 20 bucks.

14. macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

This sounds like a great idea until you realize that 2 things would happen... 1) unemployment would spike after employers reduce staff to afford the new livable wage and 2) prices would skyrocket as businesses pass the cost on to consumers.

Now if your fine with those 2 things happening then by all means... yes it should be raised way up.

15. macrumors 6502a

webbuzz

Have you taken a cost accounting class yet?

16. macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

Jimmy John's isn't already $20?

17. macrumors 6502a

I hope not, but it probably will.

18. macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Good way to increase unemployment in a recession.

19. macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Of course I'd love to see the minimum wage increased, but the places that pay it may just hire less people to offset the cost increase.

20. macrumors 6502a

What recession is that? The last one ended in 2009.

21. macrumors 65816

prostuff1

Ha

22. macrumors 65816

Probably will never happen. Instead, we should subsidize business, so that they can still profit while paying low wages. That's the real answer.

23. Guest

eric/

How would that work?

24. macrumors 65816

I'm going to break my new rule of not debating with you this time...

Psssssttttt....it's the way it works now. Business pays low wages. The employee can't afford life. Employee receives welfare and other subsidies because wages aren't enough. Thus, business is getting by while the employees are paid by the government.

You can ask more questions. You won't get a response from me. Others, feel free.

25. Guest

eric/

So how are you going to determine the wages the government pays employees?