Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jaydee24601

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
Ok, so I've been incredibly anal and insane (as usual) about protecting my GORGEOUS white and silver iPad mini ... cases galore ... (I'm now using the *superb* Ridge by Devicewear) ... however, I'm thinking that it's just too thin and sexy to keep covered! How many of you are going backless on your minis and how stands the shape of the back? Are you having any scratching problems on your WHITE and SILVER models? On the Apple? Please advise! Thanks!

aerok

macrumors 65816
Oct 29, 2011
Ok, so I've been incredibly anal and insane (as usual) about protecting my GORGEOUS white and silver iPad mini ... cases galore ... (I'm now using the *superb* Ridge by Devicewear) ... however, I'm thinking that it's just too thin and sexy to keep covered! How many of you are going backless on your minis and how stands the shape of the back? Are you having any scratching problems on your WHITE and SILVER models? On the Apple? Please advise! Thanks!

Depends, if you bring it outside your house often, you're bound to scratch it a bit eventually. If you leave it home then you shouldn't need a case

outie2k

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2010
I'd suggest protecting the back with a clear skin since you are anal and insane. That's exactly what I do with iPad3 and now iPad mini. I just love being able to put the iPad on the desk without worrying about the back being scratched (which is definitely prone to damages if naked).

jaydee24601

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
THANKS so much you guys for your civil answers! I would LOVE to get a clear skin on it ... I just can't physically install one for myself. Here in Hooterville, where I live (a slightly remote locale) ... there are no installation places!

here2rock

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2012
Australia
It is good to get a good quality back cover. It keeps the heat down, protects from scratches and generally better to hold as without the cover it is too slippery.

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
I carry my iPad mini where I go and it is naked (except the smart cover covering the front). So far no nicks, no scratches, no dents. It is like as if it just came out of the box.

WhiteIphone5

macrumors 65816
May 27, 2011
Lima, Peru

there are way too many threads with iPad minis being scratched already. i suggest you keep it in the case.

iSensei

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2012

Dude it's an ipad not a freaking Picasso...

FrozenDarkness

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2009
the iPad mini is finally cheap enough and perfect enough that i don't care scratching it up the wazoo. i can afford a new iPad without having to sell this one

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010
Mini's at the apple store look pretty good, both black and white. They are handled quite a bit

lawhochun

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2012
Hong Kong
I have a White mini for about a month without any base case , just a smart cover. So far I got about 2-3 tiny scuffs on the bezel. The back is completely scratch free.

IMO, the whole purpose of iPad mini is about its design + thinness and lightness, putting on a back case on would completely destroy that. I used to have a back case for my iPad 2 3G and took really good care of it, it is because I paid US$629 for that thing. I paid much less for the mini ($329) and I didn't feel like I need to protect it that much, I just wanna enjoy the beauty of it!

Who cares if it gets scratched or not, just enjoy its sexyness. And apple products resell value doesnt seems to vary much if the devices have scratches on it, at least from my own experiences.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I went with ghost armor front and back and use the smart cover. Scratches are bound to happen with usage so adding a level of protection will allow my mini to be scratch free

Nychot

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2011
Dont worry so much about scratching the back as dropping it even a short distance and smashing the screen which id what happened to mind EVEN in a well protected leather case. The screen is VERY THIN.

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
Dude it's an ipad not a freaking Picasso...
What a poor attempt at being condescending. A Picasso is put on a wall and appreciated from a distance while an iPad is put In a bag, slid across a desk and physically handled on a daily basis.

And in this case, it is also a very very easily scratched tech product that has an obvious and glaring shortcoming with the screen which means many people fully intend on upgrading so maintaining the condition for the resale market is important.

As for the topic, I use the Skinomi back skins ($4 on amazon) and after only a few weeks them those exposed beveled edges are still flaking off so reselling is going to be tough for owners of the black version after a solid year of usage if you don't use a full body case.

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now

I say get a life and actually USE your iDevices without fear of scratching. Using a device fearful of scratching it isn't really "using" it.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
A cover is not the end all for ensuring if one drops a device there would be no damage BUT spending at least $329 I would advise a cover. Accidents happen no matter how careful one is. So some protection is better than nothing IMHO and therefore scratches are alleviated mostly to the back as well.

bcaslis

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2008
As for the topic, I use the Skinomi back skins ($4 on amazon) and after only a few weeks them those exposed beveled edges are still flaking off so reselling is going to be tough for owners of the black version after a solid year of usage if you don't use a full body case.

I have two black iPad minis, one from 11/2 and the other from 11/15. Neither has any scratches or anything flaking off.

TaylorMatsu

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2012

http://imageshack.us/a/img145/232/photolzl.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img600/307/photo1pox.jpg

Where I am pointing there is a small scratch that I realized isnt even detectable on camera. I have to hold it under the light to see it.

I only use the Smart Cover so the back of my mini is naked.

Nothing horrible yet thankfully!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.