Minor Problem In Excel

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Espnetboy3, Nov 13, 2006.

1. Espnetboy3 macrumors 6502

Ok in the program excel there is that little window helper on the side similar to the one in Word. Well my friend for some reason moved it off the screen and can't grab it with the mouse. When we quite the app and reopen it opens off the screen and when we go to window or view and close it and reopen it again it opens off the screen. Any help?

2. nadyne macrumors 6502a

Here's an AppleScript that I found when I did a newsgroup search for 'lost formatting palette'. The AppleScript was written by Barry Wainwright, one of the Word:Mac MVPs.

tell application "Microsoft Word"
    tell command bar "formatting palette"
    set visible to true
    set {top, left position} to {100, 700}
    end tell
    end tell

(So you should change 'Word' to 'Excel' above.)

If you're not familiar with them, there are a bunch of Microsoft public newsgroups for each of the apps. Lots of other people, including MVPs (Most Valued Professional, basically people who are hugely expert in one or more of the apps and who like helping other people out), keep up with these newsgroups and post a lot of great information to them. The amount of knowledge that you can find in these newsgroups is immense. I often start there if I don't know the answer to something. You can get more information about them here.

Regards,
    Nadyne.

--
    Nadyne Mielke | user experience researcher
    Microsoft Corporation | Macintosh Business Unit
    go ahead, mac my day

3. Espnetboy3 thread starter macrumors 6502

Im not too savy with apple scripts. I honestly don't know where to start with that. I guess this is more of a david hasselhoff than I thought

4. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Open up Script Editor (Applications->Applescript->Script Editor)

Copy and paste the script from the earlier post

Run the script

Done :)

5. bearbo macrumors 68000

bearbo

Compile and Run? (or is compile not necessary?)

6. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

Script Editor compiles a script automatically when you run (or even save) it. The compile command in Script Editor is effectively just a way to check your syntax. It's not actually necessary to use it.

Thanks for providing this script Nadyne, it's good to see that you are still around. I read the Mac Mojo blog pretty regularly, and enjoy it. I guess the obvious suggestion would be to make it so the formatting palette can't be moved off the screen completely with no way to get it back (except through a workaround like this).

7. nadyne macrumors 6502a

I check the forums here pretty regularly, depending on my schedule. Don't look for me in December -- I'm going to be in Sydney, and definitely not checking anything. :)

And that's a good suggestion. :)

Regards,
    Nadyne.