Minor Site Redesign...

Discussion in 'Site News' started by arn, Jan 10, 2003.

1. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Some may notice that the front page has had a minor redesign.

Part of it was prompted by a considering of reorganizing the front page a bit more...

I don't think the forums break down work quite as well as intended.

The Rumors sections become an area of general tech discussion... rather than true rumors. This is mostly due to the fact that many of the rumors are linked from the Main Disucssion area... so most true rumor discussion happens there.

I may make some more changes as wel go...

arn

2. dricci macrumors 6502a

I like it... The ad being all in the middle with nothing around really looked weird to me, this is much better.

Now give us some more rumors, the expo RDF is wearing off! :p

3. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

arn: I have three suggestions about the forum titles/descriptions, which might make it clearer when people should use which one:

(1) Remove this category:

New Mac Application Announcements
    Post your favorite new Mac Apps

and change this category:

Software Rumors
    rumors, speculation on new Apple software

to this:

Software
    discussions of particular Mac applications

Reason: To make it clear where to post about hardware and software topics. When you post in Macrumors.com News Discussion, there will be a flurry of discussion on the topic, but it shouldn't last long and become a long-term thread (news is short-term by nature). The rest of the ongoing long-term discussion about a product, once released, would be in Software. In other words, what's currently in New Mac Application Announcements would instead divide up into Macrumors.com News Discussion and Software.

(2) Change this category:

Hardware Rumors
    rumors, speculation on new Apple hardware

to this:

Hardware
    discussion of particular Mac hardware products

Reason: To keep it parallel with software.

In other words, for both hardware and software, I think news (including rumors and products announcements) should go in Macrumors.com News Discussion and everything else (comments, whining, non-news speculation by members, etc.) should go in Hardware and Software.

(3) Change this category:

Mac Help/Questions
    Problems/Questions about your mac... ask for help

to this:

Mac Help/Questions/Tips
    ask for help/advice or give a tip about a Mac problem

Reason: To make it clear where to post information of potential use to others. I was stymied a couple of times when I had something to share but nobody had asked for it yet.

Your choice of wording might be better than mine, and you have the best historical perspective of anyone, but that's my 2 cents worth. Thanks for listening.

4. GeeYouEye macrumors 68000

GeeYouEye

What happened to the "It's like a backstage pass to the future"? I don't mind the new design, but what happened to the slogan?

5. arn thread starter macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

I agree with all your suggestions except I'd like to keep the New Mac App forum. I think there should be an announcmenet place for those things.

The software forum should help divert the rest of the software questions...

arn

6. Steradian macrumors 6502

hey

arn what happened to that little useful more button locate to the right of every fourms section? I miss it, now i have to click a few more times to get where i wanna go :(

7. arn thread starter macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Re: hey

ah... didn't know people use that... :) I'll put it back... I just need to redo them a bit with the reorganziation.

arn

8. MacFan25 macrumors 68000

MacFan25

It looks great so far arn. I would like to see the "more" button beside the topic thing back up. But, the rest looks really good. Thanks.

9. Steradian macrumors 6502

cool

thanks arn it's good to see were appreciated :)

10. medea macrumors 68030

medea

hah, for a minute I thought Safari had screwed up the front page...yeah I think I like the new layout of the forums, but do you think people will be more confused as to which are the proper forums to post in? maybe they can be simplified more?

11. medea macrumors 68030

medea

no I take it back, it seems much simplier now, I think the software and hardware rumors being changed to just disscusions is a little odd but other than that it seems great, good job arn.

12. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

Thanks for putting the more button back next to each section. But the button is still missing from the Other News... section.

Is there a reason the button is missing from that section only??

Taft

13. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Anyone else notice that the "Other News" section does not update itself to the latest threads posted in, rather the latest threads created? Or is ot something to do with how my computer handles scripts?

PHP confuses me :p

i thought it was just stuck at first, until new threads started being created in that section...

:)
    pnw

14. arn thread starter macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

yeah... that was done intentionally...

I know it's not obvious... but it just made more sense for Mac Apps and Other News to be listed by new threads than new posts.

arn

15. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Arn I've noticed the server matinence message popping up more and more often, are you streching the bandwitch too thin?

I don't think it is me... :confused:

Well anyway the new layout looks nice.

16. medea macrumors 68030

medea

same here, that was happening a few months ago as well (there was even a thread on it) but it went away and nows it's been happening quite frequently again.maybe it was from the influx of vistors brought on by the macworld expo?

17. arn thread starter macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

I don't think it's related to users...

We are having more visitors... but this is not a bandwidth problem.. it's a server load problem. I had a hunch maybe there had been a memory leak and we were dipping into virtual memory more. I just rebooted the system... to see if that is true.

If it is... we can either upgrade the RAM or just see how long we go between reboot requirements.

Let me know if you run into more problems.

arn

18. King Cobra macrumors 603

This really isn't site design, but this morning I could not get onto Macrumors.com or the forums. I could go to other websites with both Safari and Mozilla, but for whatever reason Macrumors.com was not responding.

19. MacFan25 macrumors 68000

MacFan25

Yes, I couldn't get on Macrumors this morning either.