Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

mintlogo.jpg

Personal finance site Mint has released an iPad-native client, along with an upgrade to version 2.0 for iPhone users.

Mint, which Intuit bought for $170 million in 2009, is designed to help users keep track of spending and budgeting. It automatically imports data from bank, credit card and investment websites, but does not actually control anything -- it only downloads transactions, to lower the risk of security breaches.

Amongst the new features in version 2.0:
NEW FEATURES FOR IPAD
? Easy-to-understand, multi-touch graphs show you where your money is going so you get a clear picture of your spending and your net worth.
? Redesigned overview screen, so you get a quick snapshot of your finances and latest alerts, bill reminders and advice.
? Enter cash and pending transactions so you have the most accurate view of your spending.
? Get a detailed view of your transactions.
? View your data even without a wireless connection.
mzl.mplggjkz.480x480-75.jpg

For the security conscious, the Mint app can be locked separately from the iPad or iPhone, and if the device is lost, access can be disabled from the Mint website.

Mint for iOS is a universal app, free from the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Mint.com Releases iPad-Native App

devinstan

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

One of the best personal finance apps I've used. Although I don't like to look at it because it reminds me of how much money I waste.

Amadeo

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

One of the best personal finance apps I've used. Although I don't like to look at it because it reminds me of how much money I waste.

Dude. I'm right there with you.

BrentD

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2010
I've had friends rave about it, too. But I'm also afraid to see how much I waste...heh

BJB Productions

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2008

So true.

Tafkas

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2007
Princeton, NJ
Even though they have a fancy interface and pretty apps, should I hand over my personal financial data to a third party company?

Speedracer04

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2006
Michigan
Even though they have a fancy interface and pretty apps, should I hand over my personal financial data to a third party company?

Intuit is the same company that owns TurboTax....have you ever used it to do your taxes? I think that its pretty safe, but of course nothing is safer than not giving it out.

I personally find it to be an extremely useful tool...especially once you have used it for a month or two as it will automatically categorize your purchases once it has "learned"....one of the major downfalls of most personal finance software.

LoadStar

macrumors member
Mar 15, 2011
I'd use Mint if there was a way to synchronize data from Quicken. I've entered basically a lifetime of financial data into the desktop (Windows) version of Quicken; I really don't want to start over from scratch with Mint, nor do I want to do double the work (assigning categories/notes in Mint, and again in Quicken).

ProVideo

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2011
Now if Intuit could try and make a decent version of Quicken for Mac. The Quicken Essentials is a joke, with hardly any difference between mint.com, which is free.

I've looked into iBank and others, but none seem to match up feature for feature to the Windows version of Quicken, or Quicken 2007 for Mac. Quicken 2007 won't even run on Lion, and it should have been updated long ago anyways.

sladey

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2008
Sydney, Australia
I've tried all the Mac personal finance apps. I haven't found anything that meets my needs like Microsoft Money 2003, which is one of two programs I have running in a virtual Windows machine. Unfortunately that's the last version of Money available in Australia and now MS have even stopped supporting some of the features. Now that's a sad state of affairs.

I'm thinking of writing my own personal finance app. Any takers if I dedicate the hard work and put it on the app store, or am I wasting my time?

If so, what features would you like that are missing from current apps?
And what features of current apps are ones you can do without?

NAG

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2003
/usr/local/apps/nag
I've tried all the Mac personal finance apps. I haven't found anything that meets my needs like Microsoft Money 2003, which is one of two programs I have running in a virtual Windows machine. Unfortunately that's the last version of Money available in Australia and now MS have even stopped supporting some of the features. Now that's a sad state of affairs.

I'm thinking of writing my own personal finance app. Any takers if I dedicate the hard work and put it on the app store, or am I wasting my time?

If so, what features would you like that are missing from current apps?
And what features of current apps are ones you can do without?

A big part of the issue are the banks (especially credit card companies). They intentionally make it hard to get at your information because they have no vested interest in it (and actually quite the opposite).

wolfshades

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2007
Toronto, Ontario Canada
This is one of the better apps out there for giving you a snapshot of all of your finances. It even distinguishes between line of credits versus chequing (something I had a hard time trying to configure with other money apps), and pulls the info directly from your accounts.

Although web-based, they've had an iPhone/iPod app for a while, and folk have been clamouring for a true iPad version. I think it's great.

Wish I could say I learned how to budget better - because it's definitely useful for that but the sad truth is I'm using it more to understand how badly I'm managing my cash. :cool:

kjs862

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2004
i used a similar app for about a week, then i totally forgot about it. would be nice to have some siri integration, might make things a bit easier.

NERunner

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2011
Massachusetts
Mint not for Me

Very similar to my very passionate thoughts. I had over 15 years of data in Microsoft Money (since version 1.0) and was for several years running a separate Windows machine just for Money. I finally got sick of that and thus tried Mac Essentials for Mac and imported all of my Money data. I am absolutely dumbfounded by the lack of reporting and budgeting functionality in Essentials. The ability to export data to Excel in nonexistent and copying and pasting is kludgey at best.

Every indication from Intuit seems to be that their focus is on Mint and their various versions of Quicken for Windows. I'm inclined to believe that Quicken Essentials will not have any major version upgrade. This is all ironic given that Quicken's CEO is on Apple's Board.

I daily lament Intuit's lack of interest in its Mac customer base.

Zoboomafoo

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2002
I'd use Mint if there was a way to synchronize data from Quicken. I've entered basically a lifetime of financial data into the desktop (Windows) version of Quicken; I really don't want to start over from scratch with Mint, nor do I want to do double the work (assigning categories/notes in Mint, and again in Quicken).

So I can appreciate what you're saying here. I didn't use quicken, but I was obsessive enough to have paper copies of phone bills that were literally ten years old. But you know, it eventually occurred to me to ask myself "when's the last time I popped open a bottle of wine with a stack of phone bills and reminisced about the phone calls i made in january of 2001?"

At some point, I just let it all go and threw it away. So it's a similar question. What's more important to you? What you bought for christmas presents 8 years ago? Or stuff that might impact your financial life right now?

slicecom

macrumors 68020
Aug 29, 2003
Toronto, Canada
So I can appreciate what you're saying here. I didn't use quicken, but I was obsessive enough to have paper copies of phone bills that were literally ten years old. But you know, it eventually occurred to me to ask myself "when's the last time I popped open a bottle of wine with a stack of phone bills and reminisced about the phone calls i made in january of 2001?"

At some point, I just let it all go and threw it away. So it's a similar question. What's more important to you? What you bought for christmas presents 8 years ago? Or stuff that might impact your financial life right now?

Hey January 2001 was a great month for cell phone calls, one of my favourite bills to go back to and read, in fact. I can recite most of it by memory.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.