Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

muymal

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 8, 2007
Hey people, so I just came back to HK to visit my family and notice that some computer stores and some street stalls sell these things call MiPow 6600.

Link: http://www.mipow.com/product_detail.php?pid=2&lang=en

They only output about 5W which would mean extremely slow charging for an iPad. I am not too concerned with the charging but more as using it as an external power source? Is this possible? Anyone has experience with this thing? I couldn't find any reviews on this thing.

I just mainly want to know if I plug this thing in, would it take place of the built-in battery of the iPad and allowing it to be used longer.

Thanks!

xraytech

macrumors 68030
Mar 24, 2010
Hey people, so I just came back to HK to visit my family and notice that some computer stores and some street stalls sell these things call MiPow 6600.

Link: http://www.mipow.com/product_detail.php?pid=2&lang=en

They only output about 5W which would mean extremely slow charging for an iPad. I am not too concerned with the charging but more as using it as an external power source? Is this possible? Anyone has experience with this thing? I couldn't find any reviews on this thing.

I just mainly want to know if I plug this thing in, would it take place of the built-in battery of the iPad and allowing it to be used longer.

Thanks!

Nice!

I may get one.

From my experience from using 5W plug in chargers is that yes the iPad will sip from that thing first. Others may have different results cuz 5W seems to be the threshold.

muymal

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 8, 2007
yea, i m skeptical about getting it b/c of the low wattage. But the site does say use for iPad... but just can't get over the low wattage haha. dont want to spend the money and find out it does't work because there is no return policy in HK

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.