Mirroing question

Discussion in 'iPad' started by wingnut8, Oct 6, 2011.

1. macrumors 65816

wingnut8

When I click the airplay button and choose Apple TV the mirroring option doesn't show up. Am I doing something wrong here or do I need to enable somewhere else first?

2. macrumors P6

Intell

The Apple TV must be running the latest firmware virsion, 4.4 I believe. And the iPad 2 must be running iOS 5.

3. thread starter macrumors 65816

wingnut8

Ah, my Apple TV is running 4.3. Thanks.

4. macrumors 603

The Game 161

How do you run the latest update with apple TV?

didn't think you ran it through the computer?

5. macrumors P6

Intell

Unless you are a developer, your Apple TV is still up to date with version 4.3. Around October 12th, there will be an update released, 4.4, that will enable the AirPlay mirroring.

6. macrumors 603

apple tv beta's are done via iTunes, you plug in via micro usb, you need to have the UDID registered and the beta software downloaded for the apple tv 2

7. macrumors 603

The Game 161

So if I wanted to buy Apple TV would it be difficult to sort out?

8. macrumors regular

iVikD

This thread has sparked curiosity in me. Would it be possible to mirror the iPad's screen on a MBP and then connect the MBP to a TV via HDMI? (asking because I don't own an aTV.)

9. macrumors P6

Intell

AirPlay mirroring is encrypted. The encryption has not yet been reserved engineered. So as of now, no you cannot do that.

10. macrumors regular

iVikD

I see. So it can be done on AirPlay enabled devices exclusively as of now?
    Well, while I don't think it's a super amazing feature and must-have, I have to admit it would be pretty nifty to get your iPad's screen on a TV.
    Thanks for the info.

11. macrumors P6

Intell

I think the only device that can receive the encrypted mirroring stream is the Apple TV 2 running firmware version 4.4 or higher.

12. macrumors 603

well since the update will be out on wednesday, you can just download the update normally then, tho getting the udid registered and then updating didn't take long.

actually, you're wrong, there's a program on windows that can receive airplay from an iDevice.... tho not seen the program has a mac compatible version.

13. macrumors 603

The Game 161

Sorry don't mean to sound stupid but I'm thinking of getting Apple TV and want to know how it will work. Do I just plug it into my TV and I will be able to watch the TV from the ipad or iphone? what are the extra features expected for IOS 5 involving Apple TV?

Would I need to download something for Apple TV if I bought it from the store?

14. macrumors 603

the apple TV plugs in via HDMI. you can watch all your iTunes content from your PC, you can stream from any app that has it enabled via airplay or mirror the iPad's screen as you see it from the iPad 2. the iOS5 stuff is airplay mirroring and photostream. Have a look at the apple website to see it better.

15. macrumors P6

Intell

Actually, I'm right. AirPlay mirroring is encrypted. AirPlay videos and photo streaming is not encrypted. That is why it can be played back on non-Airplay devices like Windows and Mac. AirTunes/AirPlay music is encrypted as well. But the private key in the Airport Express' firmware has been extracted, enabling non-AirTunes devices to playback music.

16. macrumors 603

actually the windows application did take airplay mirroring when i tried it a few weeks ago.....

17. macrumors 68000

VPrime

Links or it didn't happen :D

18. macrumors 603

I'm away from home now for a week or I'd have posted a screenshot. I'll do it when I get back.