mirror dashboard widget just giving black screen on new ibook

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by dfinn, Jun 29, 2005.

1. macrumors member

my girlfriend picked up a 1ghz refurb'd ibook. i was playing with the dashboard widgets the other night and I noticed one called mirror. My guess is that it uses a built in camera to show give you a reflection? Is there no built in camera on the ibooks? Am I doing something else wrong?

2. macrumors 603

wordmunger

There is no built in camera on iBooks. That would be your problem.

3. macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Yeah, I think that widget only works if you have an iSight or similar attached.

4. macrumors 65816

redeye be

hehe,
    the widget probably only works on CRTs without anti-reflective coating and having a big light pointed to your face (or anything else you'd like to mirror :confused: ;) ).

5. macrumors 68000

neut

Mirror 1.0 Widget That Shows Your Face Using iSight

Mirror is a widget that displays a mirror image of your face. This widget combines Dashboard, the latest QuickTime, and QuartzComposer. Not much to say about it. It's purpose is to show off the technologies and to be fun. Please give me feedback for improvements.

System requirements:
    Mac OS X 10.4 or higher iSight or possibly other video-in device

Mirror is freeware

For more information, visit:
    http://balooba.se/

peace | neut

6. macrumors Core

Dagless

god no you dont need a camera. each pixel on the screen has a tiny camera no bigger than the actual pixel and take a 1x1 pixel picture. it does have a very fast refresh rate, about 300fps to mimic that of a circling vulture. i cant remember what this technology was called but it was along the lines of 'meme'.

of course it was engineered in Germany.

iBook screens are compatable but not Powerbook. rumour has it that Apple are waiting for 600fps capture rates before putting them in the PB range, and the iMac too. however Apple have deactivated this technology for now. it will be made available via Software Update once Duke Nukem Forever is out.

7. macrumors 601

liketom

god no! just think of all them teenagers squeezin there spots on ther mac mirrors :rolleyes:

8. macrumors regular

That is so cool when is dule nukem out i can wait to use it.

9. macrumors 601

ITASOR

I think it's due out in a few days. I must have a rare iBook, because I sure can see my face in the mirror.