Mirror/Span your Mac's display onto your old Mac/PCs screen

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Shadow, Oct 4, 2006.

1. Shadow macrumors 68000

Shadow

This works over your network, so you will need to have a router for this to work. It is useful if you have an old iMac around and want to use the extra display, or have a laptop and a Mac/PC at work for dual moniters.

1. You are going to need 2 programs to do this, one is for Mac OS X and is called ScreenRecycler (http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/30915) and VNC Navigator Free Edition for Windows (http://www.intelliadmin.com/VNCNavigator.htm - click Download Trial). Install ScreenRecycler and VNC Navigator, and drag ScreenReycler to your dock (you can remove it later).
    Some VNC Clients for Mac OS X are:
    VNCThing (PPC Only)
    Chicken of the VNC (Universal, but slow)

2. In VNC Navigator, you need to make a new network. Do this by clicking “Add”. Enter the name of your network (like “iMac Screen” or “Work PC”). Next you need to enter your host. To find this goto Apple Menu --> System Preferences --> Sharing. Enable FTP access, and you will an IP address. Image 1This is your internal network IP, and copy it into the host (without the ftp:// bits). Click ‘Add’, then ‘Done’. Image 2For example, my settings would be these
    3. Once you have done that, open ScreenRecycler and click start. It should say something like Image 4
    ScreenRecycler in now running
    Point your VNC Client to:
    *yourmacsname*.local
    Or *your macs internal IP*
    Using port: 5900 ,no password
    4. Go back to VNC Navigator and double click on the network you just created in step 2. A brief loading bar should appear, then screen spanning or mirroring should start. Note that the mouse on the PC that you are using to display the “extra” screen turns to a box, and while on the extra display your mouse cursor turns to blue; this is normal. To activate mirroring, goto the Displays menu in the top-right hand corner, and click “Turn on Mirroring”. To stop, simply press stop in ScreenRecycler.

Note that it is quite laggy, but it all depends on the speed of your network.
    I fooled SBT into thinking I installed OS X on my PC with this method! Enjoy!

Tips:
    If it dont work, make sure you have no password, and the ports are the same and arnt blocked by a firewall.

Attached Files:

2. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Yup, that pretty much sums up VNC. You could do the same thing (unstably) with as far back as Mac OS 7. I see it has developed quite a bit since then.

3. Shadow thread starter macrumors 68000

Shadow

Yeah it cool, I could get used to having 2 moniters :D

4. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

It's even better when you have two actual monitors connected to your system... which has been around since like the late 80s on Macs.

5. Shadow thread starter macrumors 68000

Shadow

I aint paying 15 quid on a cable (esp when I can do the same thing for free, albeit a tad slower)!

6. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

I'm not sure what a quid is (and in this context, I'm not sure why you would be mad you had to buy a cable, or even why you would have to buy specifically a cable, since most displays come with a cable), but it really is hardly the "same thing" using VNC.

Maybe this is some crazy UK slang that I am not aware of?

7. Shadow thread starter macrumors 68000

Shadow

1 Quid = £1. The MacBook has mini-DVI out, so yeah, I'd need an adapter.