Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bodhi395

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 23, 2008
I currently am using a mac mini as a media center for my TV, and have an external 500GB hard drive hooked up to it. I've almost reached 500 gb's of movies and tv shows on the hard drive and am looking to upgrade to at least a 1 TB hard drive or maybe even 2 TB.

I want everything to be backed up, so if one of these hard drives fails, I don't lose all my movies and shows. I like the idea of mirrored drives where you basically have two hard drives that both are storing the identical data, so if one fails, its fully backed up on the other. Anyone have any advice on mirrored drives, such as a good way to set them up? Or any specific ones that work well?

shaunb83

macrumors member
Dec 11, 2008
You could try using a Drobo, or a NAS with built in RAID that you can configure as Raid 1. Or you could have 2 hard drives daisychained together using firewire, and have program like Chronosync set up to mirror the contents of one drive onto the other drive....

The first 2 are more expensive, but probably more flexible (esp. the Drobo), and last one is the cheapest way I can personally think of doing it (I'm sure others will have ideas!)

Kcissem D

macrumors member
Apr 6, 2010
what the guy above me said but if you want to go just the external route and not worry about NAS's or such you can get external drives that can be configured in a Raid 0 or Raid 1 config such as some of the WD My book series. I have the WD My book Studio edition myself which is 4 TB in Raid 0, 2 TB in Raid 1(mirrored)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.