mirroring two macs

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by itwasntme, Mar 20, 2007.

1. itwasntme macrumors newbie

Hi, I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

I'm about to buy a iMac and a MacBook, and what I want to be able to do is have each computer mirror each other. So when I go see a client with my MacBook and make some changes to some files (photoshop, illustrator etc) that when I get home the computers will update each other, so I never loss files and if one crashes (power cut etc) I can keep working on the other.

The people at the Mac store said I couldn't, I find this hard to believe. So if you know of a bit of software out there that can help me please let me know, as I want to set this up correct form day one.

2. spork183 macrumors 6502a

spork183

SuperDuper will reliably smart update one to the other, but I don't believe it will assess both machines and update back and forth. If all you need is to have the imac mirror the macbook, then at the end of the day, superduper can do a smart update on only changed files. Takes about 12 minutes. The first time is much longer. Might be better to just have the user files sync. would cut your update time. Also, there may be specific system files for the macbook that are different on the imac.

I use superduper to clone every other day or so, to a couple of firewire backups. Makes it simple to keep everything handy, since my powersupply is dying, again... but I digress.

3. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

A copy of osx intel for a macbook is very similar to a imac and an exact copy should boot. I say should because I have never done this. A copy of osx should contain all drivers for all macs because of the small amount of devices used.

4. itwasntme thread starter macrumors newbie

FolderShare

Hi, Thanks for the feed back.

Dose anyone have experance with FolderShare This looks like it may work?