Misinformed PC User?

Discussion in 'Wasteland' started by yzeater, Oct 30, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. macrumors regular

Oct 19, 2002
    Hey Guys-
    I spent a little time talking to a PC using friend of mine the other day. This is a copy of our conversation. He seems to be pretty down on Macs, is any of what he says true?

me: http://www.macboy.com/cartoons/switch/gates/index.html
    him: haha
    me: http://www.futuremechanix.com/mr/switch/switch-gates.mov
    him: hahaha
    me: aren't those great?
    him: yeah
    him: 2nd was the best
    me: that's real footage!
    him: its too bad mac os 10 sucks
    him: I hate it
    me: why?
    him: cant navigate around
    me: why do you say that?
    him: or manage more than one open window
    him: and it crashes
    him: alot
    him: way more than windows xp
    me: since when?
    him: huh?
    me: do you have a mac?
    him: our apples at school crash all the time
    me: what kind?
    him: and theyre spankin new
    me: what kind
    him: g-4 mabye?
    him: theyre brand new
    me: how much ram?
    him: with the latest os
    him: 512
    him: 40gb hard drives
    him: they are good for video editing
    him: thats about it
    me: when do they crash?
    him: just whenever
    him: one crashed yesterdy
    him: *day
    me: why do you say you can't open more than 1 window?
    him: you can, but its really annoying to manage
    me: why is it?
    him: I dont know, I just cant stand it
    me: can you tell me any more about your mac problems?
    me: I'm really interested
    him: they freeze
    him: and sometimes the external speaker dosent work
    him: for reasons unknown
    him: one day it wouldnt work, the next it worked fine
    me: do they freeze more often than PCs?
    him: not more than windows 98
    him: but way more than xp
    him: We've had a dell with xp for 6 months and its frozen a total of 3 times
    him: the mac's freeze about once a week
    me: go to www.apple.com/hardware and confirm what model it is, would ya?
    him: ok
    him: G-4
    me: which G4
    me: there's more than 1
    him: geez
    me: powermac g4?
    him: no
    me: http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APP...LdGuNb2/,84
    me: that?
    him: no
    me: humm
    him: the tower looks like that, but not the face
    him: the speaker is on the bottom of the face
    him: and the cd drive is on the top
    me: http://www.panagas.com/scans_Infrastructure/apple_g3_tower.jpg
    me: seperate tower and monitor?
    me: http://www.cccoe.k12.ca.us/mdtech/pics/g4.jpg
    him: yep
    me: which one?
    him: looks like the link you just sent me
    me: I sent you two links
    me: so which link?
    me: ...
    him: the last one

So if any of you can share insight on his problems, that'd be great. Are these normal problems, is it really difficult to work with multiple windows, etc. Thanks a lot guys
  2. macrumors regular

Aug 26, 2002
    In a dark corner somewhere. Help me..
    him: OS X sucks
    me: *loads gun*
    him: is crashes way more then XP
    me: *aims gun*
    him: I just hate it
    me *pulls trigger and rids the world of one more ill informed ignoramus*

3. macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    Try a brick they're a lot more fun...

And you end up with a lot less back splatter, and fewer brains on the wall to clean up.

Attached Files:

4. macrumors 65816

Jul 23, 2002
    Nashville, Tennessee USA
  5. macrumors 68000

May 6, 2002
    Brooklyn, NYC
    People have alot of misconceptions about Macs. But I do have to admit one thing; OS X does freeze alot. Atleast once a day for me. The good thing about OS X is that Force Quit actually works.
  6. thread starter macrumors regular

Oct 19, 2002
    Everybody else find this to be true?
  7. macrumors 65816

Jul 23, 2002
    Nashville, Tennessee USA
  8. macrumors 65816

Jul 25, 2002
    Prospect, KY
    Your always going to have some problems with your computer, but most are user caused. Since I switched to a Mac (August 2001), I have only had 2 problems. Both of which were easily solved. One was a school network glitch that sent a mac virus that ate my HDD, and the other was a bad connector my iBook display had. Since I installed Jaguar, OS X has never crashed. It's sad to see so many misinformed people.
  9. macrumors 68030

Aug 4, 2002
    Madison, Wi
    OS X as a system itself has never crashed nor frozen on me, certain programs have such as IE and Chimera, but when a program in X freezes it doesnt affect the rest of the computer so you just force quit it, this "friend" of yours nothing more than an ignorant pc-weenie who has probably never touched a mac in their life. geez...:rolleyes:
  10. macrumors 68000

May 6, 2002
    Brooklyn, NYC
    Ammendment: It's my APPLICATIONS that are freezing, not the OS. Mostly IE but I do get the occasional insatnce of Photoshop "unexpectadly" quitting. The OS overall has actually been pretty good until recently. I can't shut down my machine at all. I just get taken back to the Log In screen and have to force power off. And if I unplug headphones from the jack the OS crashes and I'm very quicly taken to the Log In screen. I think these are electronic issues on the board though.
  11. macrumors member

May 23, 2002
    He may be running 10.0 which wasn't the best version of the Mac OS X. I have a few kernel panics with it. But far less than once a week. 10.2 is alot better. Being a school they may not have any sort of program or even money to constantly update OS to something better like 10.2 Odds are if he doesn't know how to switch between different windows he doesn't know how to force quit programs, so he may think that the application freezes are OS freezes.

He is probably maximizing his windows so can't click on them to change them. I've noticed a lot of Windows users like doing that. They switch between windows by either clicking them on the task bar or doing alt-tab.
  12. thread starter macrumors regular

Oct 19, 2002
    How does a Jaguar user properly switch between windows?
  13. macrumors regular

Sep 5, 2002
    Re: Misinformed PC User?

14. macrumors regular

Jan 27, 2002
    i have never had a crash that i couldnt resolve in 10.2 at first i had a lot of apps crash, but when i called an apple tech, he advised that i start up in 9 and add some prefs, and it helped imeasurably. i have not had one crash since then and my machine is speedy as hell
  15. macrumors 6502a

Oct 13, 2002
    New York
    You can set it to work all in one window or seperate windows like OS 9 or XP. Tell him to shut up.
  16. macrumors member

May 23, 2002
    I can't speak for all Jaguar users. I rarely use the alt-tab much in the various versions of Windows I've used. I use the Mac OS pretty much the way I use Windows. I generally run anywhere from 2 to 6 apps and never maximize any window so I can move them around easy enough to click on the one I want to use. In Jaguar if I know I am going to use a window fairly soon and want to get it out of the way for now, I minimize it and it goes down to the dock. When I want it back I just click on it and it comes out of the dock.

I vaguely recall a shortcut like the alt-tab thing but did a search and couldn't find it. I did find something that works fairly well. All you have to do is move your mouse to the icon of the app in the dock that has the window you want. If you have a 2 button mouse right click on it. If you don't have a 2 button mouse click on the application icon and hold it down for a second. A menu with a list of all the windows that program has open will appear and you can click on the right one.
  17. Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    I've seen a lot of PC users who don't use Macs but think they have. They sit down for 10 minutes and decide that Mac OS 9 or X is junk because it doesn't work like Windows.

If they want to get to a window quickly in Mac OS X, they have two ways to do it:

1. Right click on the dock application icon and select the window by name.

2. Select the application by clicking on the dock application icon or Command-Tab to that icon and release, then select the window.

I do have several Carbon applications which freeze/crash regularly with v10.2 but they're due to memory leaks within each application. Jaguar is just more careful about running problem applications. The only one I need daily is Eudora and I could get along without it until the next version is available.
  18. macrumors 603

Jun 25, 2002
    LaLaLand, CA
    My Mom has several iMacs (older 350-500 MHz G3s) at her school. Running OS 9.0.4. With a ton of crappy "educational" and "safety" software. The kids still constantly find ways to screw them up. And some of them have bad RAM. Their IT guy is too busy playing video games in the basement to fix any of them when they have a problem, and nobody wants to fill out the paperwork to have Apple come to fix them. So the problems multiply and get worse. I go in there sometimes, and a few minutes later, after playing around a little, they work just fine.

Point being, I doubt it's the computers. To be fair, a lot of WinTels can easily be fixed, or at least wouldn't mess up as much, if the same methods were used. I know a lot of computer people who are still talking about OS 8 (or earlier) pre-G3 Macs as if they were the current offerings (almost as much as Mac people refer to Windows 9x when talking about M$. Almost. Although XP does suck). When I start to tell them about OS X and UNIX, suddenly they become very interested.

It's all about mistaken preconceived notions. On both sides.
  19. macrumors 6502

Mar 16, 2002
    Mac OS X doesn't freeze alot...

I've been using Mac OS X since 10.0. It has frozen once, when I was playing baldur's gate 2, and I got a couple kernel panics when i accidentally jiggled my external CD burner loose while burning from the finder *whoops* and don't think I don't do much with OS X, I've done a lot of mods with it, customed samba, set up web servers, mysql, screwed with files I mean I'm not like a UNIX freak but I do some pretty dangerous stuff with these files (imho, at least). Programs quit at times, but that's true in pretty much every OS. Only in OS X, force quit works, and what's awesome is that in the force quit window, programs that go "not responding" can actually come back to responding. That is pretty much impossible in windows (at least from a few years of my experience).
  20. macrumors member

May 29, 2002
    I agree. I'm still running 10.1 and I havent had to shut my computer down or restart in monthes! I even have VPC running in the doc and have for about 2 weeks. No crashes. None. I love OSX. Im almost thinking about installing Jag, but I keep reading about problems people are having. And besides, I like bragging to all my PC friends about my mac uptime!!
  21. Retired

Jul 9, 2000
    since my apple II+ in 1980 or 81, i have found the ignorant people to usually be the mac users

for the most part, i have not met too many ignorant pc users since many don't care about the mac since it's really no threat to them or to windows

so when i show a pc user a mac for the first time, they usually have a great reaction in favor of the mac from it's looks to the better operating system

i do know of this pc user who likes to believe all computers use DOS and all computers use windows 98 compatible software, regardless...and this user is a phd in math so he knows how to add two plus two...but he probably forgets how to take a **** from time to time and has to consult his textbooks

22. macrumors member

Oct 30, 2002
    Just for some more fuel to the fire,

On my girlfriends ibook (700 mhz 256meg ram, combo)
    did a clean install of OS X after we got it,
    and it has locked up (either will not respond, won't wake up, can't power off etc.. ) probably 6-8 times with just normal use,
    i wouldn't say she is a power user or anything or even uses power intensive programs

at my work where i have a dell pentium 4 1.6 with 256 meg ram
    etc. etc. and windows XP, i have left it on for 6 months and the only thing (note it didn't even lock up the computer the application just quit responding) that has failed was when i was using the beta version of IE 6, and that's to be expected from beta releases.

so i don't understand why anyone really says that XP is like some crash-amatic OS,

i do agree that windows 98, and the 2000 were blue screen of death generators (seems like all you could get out of them.)

but XP is actually not that bad.

(puts my flame suit on)
  23. macrumors member

Jul 24, 2002
    I've had to force quit an app only one time since I've had my iBook and I've had Chimera and Mozilla crash on a couple of sites, but I load 'em right back up again and they're fine. And OSX (I'm on 10.2.1) has yet to crash and require me to reboot the system. Everytime I have Windows application crashes at work or at home, I always have to reboot.

I will say that Windows XP in Virtual PC has yet to crash also(they might have actually done something right with an OS, albeit it's a bloated one - had to turn off all the eye candy), whereas my Windows 98 machine at work needs to be rebooted twice a day and my last PC with Windows Me (worst.OS.ever.) crashed every 15-30 minutes without fail.

Since I'm just a noob though, I can't offer any explanations or solutions to why someone's system running OSX would crash so much - it seems beyond rock solid to me.
  24. macrumors 68030

Aug 4, 2002
    Madison, Wi
    Please...XP is the reason I finally switched to a mac. You must be in cahoots with our friend kerouac, because all the posts you've made on this mac forum have been complaints and anti-mac, try it somewhere else, like the dell forum.
    "uh, is the usb port on my dell firewire compatible to work with my new iPod?"
  25. macrumors 6502

Jan 8, 2002
    here, there, who knows
    7600 baby

I'm running a 7600 with OSX.1.5 It has yet to crash. It works better that ever did under OS9 I even run classic Apps in it:cool:
    So see if you can claim the same for winblows XP you can't run programs that were made for win9x on it because it crashes like there is no tomorrow.

OSX is the best OS there is, even at work I just install jaguar and was able to get on our network (win NT) and the IT guy was amazed that I could see everything on the network even stuff that was suppost be on a "Secure" share on the network (good old M$ security) and none can access but him guess what I could and can edit the files :cool:
    Long live OSX and apple:D
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.